Recover lxc container after system SSD crash

docloy

Feb 15, 2018
Hi there,

since two weeks I'm trying proxmox. My setup was a / SSD using ZFS. And one raid-z2 with 5 WD Red Disks.

Today my SSD crashed and isn't readable anymore. The container data are within my raidz2-pool. Booting with debug installer I could copy the folder of the subvolumes for each container.

Is ist possible to restore the containers on a different temporary proxmox host. After a new system SSD is shipped?

vzdump isn't included with debug installer and probably won't work anyways because the container config files are missin?

Hopefully someone can help me. Thanks in advance!

docloy

Hmm ... yes, configs are all gone. You have to recreate all of them. Data is of course still there if it was on the raid pool. If you had data on the ssd, it's also gone. To temporarily move all disks, you just need to boot a zfs capable rescue disk, the rescue system of PVE does IMHO not contain ZFS, yet I'm unsure.

I'd suggest to install Proxmox VE the next time on the raid pool. You don't need an SSD only for the OS. The 10 seconds it boots faster is negligible.

Data is of course still there if it was on the raid pool.
Yes the data is still there. I could already copy them. Sad that I can't use it to reintgrate it as a lxc in a new instance. This would save me a lot of time for configure stuff...

I'd suggest to install Proxmox VE the next time on the raid pool. You don't need an SSD only for the OS. The 10 seconds it boots faster is negligible.

Thank you for this advice. Would you recommend to use a SSD for caching and log of the raid-z2? Is there a possibility to encrypt the zfs pool within the installer?

Thank you for this advice. Would you recommend to use a SSD for caching and log of the raid-z2?

Depends on your SSD and RAM. If you use an SSD from this list, probably... and only do it if you have a lot of RAM, e.g. 64k+

http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/20...-if-your-ssd-is-suitable-as-a-journal-device/

Is there a possibility to encrypt the zfs pool within the installer?

Sadly not yet.

Sad that I can't use it to reintgrate it as a lxc in a new instance. This would save me a lot of time for configure stuff...

Sure you can, just create a new container with a different ID, copy over the config and adapt.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!