Recover images from Fileserver?

finlaydag33k

Apr 16, 2015
My idiot colleague was trying to upgrade our non-clustered PVE node (exact version is unknown, but if I remember correctly it was 4.1 or 4.3) to 5.x.
This however led to some unexpected failure of the node (errors n stuff).
After reverting back to the Jessie sources, we managed to get it somewhat back again (errors where gone), but here is the "fun" part:
nothing that has to do with Proxmox works :)
- qm: command not found
- pveversion: command not found
- pvectl: command not found

So we've decided to just reinstall the Proxmox node.
The images are on the NAS, so they should be fine (no backups, they did get shutdown before the incident happened)
So my question now is:
How do I recover those images on a PVE5.1 machine?

UPDATE: literally a few seconds later I noticed that Proxmox5 uses LVM-Thin by default, I made a new volume with `LVM` (not `LVM-Thin`) and it now created an image...
Let's see what happens when I copy the old image to the new CT..

UPDATE2: I can't seem to find the location of the CT images...
I've looked in `/var/lib/lxc` and `/var/lib/vz/images`

UPDATE4:
This did not work out as I had hoped, I just added the `container` capability to the `local` storage, then copied it from the fileserver to the right folder (/var/lib/pve/images/<CTID>) and it worked perfectly fine :)

For those wondering why I am "spamming" these updates: It is so that somebody else after me doesn't have to stress out as much in the future :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!