Recommended SSD for Production??

joshin

Renowned Member
Jul 23, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey Hivemind,

What SATA SSD drives do folk recommend for a production cluster? I've been using consumer drives with mostly good success, but the weird ZFS write throttle issue has bitten us enough times (twice!), so I want to get something in our school district's budget for next fiscal year.

Thanks!

Intel 3600/3610/3700/3710 is marketed as "high endurance technology" MLC. Similar in performance is Samsung SM863-series, with "3d-MLC". Both of them have power-protection, 5 or 10 years warranty, and TBW at least a few PB. If you need higher capacity, go SAS-way, that is Micron S610/630/650DC or Seagate Optimus/1200.2...

Reactions: joshin
I got very good results (performance and durability wise) with Samsung EVO 850 (not pro) 500GB.
They were under heavy and permanent r/w pressure and they worked flawlessly for more than a year.
You would probably get better durability results with Intel DC S35xx or "Pro" version of the EVO but for the price, I found it was not really a problem to change them once every 2 years instead of paying 2 to 3 times the price for a bit more lifetime.

Anyway, whatever the SSD you choose, you should monitor your Wearout level if you don't want to have bad surprises.

Reactions: joshin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!