[SOLVED] Reboot server and get on lxc Server refused to allocate pty

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by Bidi, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Bidi

Bidi Member

Hello guys,

I just rebooted the server and now when i turned on all the lxc on it i get Server refused to allocate pty
    Before i reboot it i stoped the lxc manualy and after i rebooted it.

The big think is i`m able to login using winscp but putty no, and if i enter on the server and after on the lxc pct enter 100 is working the server but when i try to open some apps is not working.

itryed even with but is not working :( can anyone help me ?
    1. Enter to VPS, edit /etc/rc.sysinit
    2. Find /sbin/start_udev then comment out: #/sbin/start_udev
    3. Reboot VPS
    When i trey screen to run on the server i get

[root@2 home]# screen
    Cannot access '/dev/pts/2': No such file or directory
    [root@2 home]#

[root@2 pts]# echo "" > 2 bash: 2: Read-only file system

I had proxmox 5.2 and update it to proxmox 5.3

#1 Bidi, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  2. Stoiko Ivanov

Stoiko Ivanov Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

Please post the config of one affected container.
    Which OS-version is the container running?
    Is there by any chance a `/etc/fstab` inside the container? - If yes please post its contents

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bidi

Bidi Member

Finaly founded the problem.

The VPS was migrated long time ago from proxmox 3.5 now after i update from 5.2 to 5.3...etc all the openvz migrated on proxmox 5 they dont like the new kernel so i migrate them all back to proxmox 3.5

What i dont understand is why it just not updateing the kernel on the lxc or to keep them working or if is there a way to fix this cuz i whant them to migrate them back to v5 but with the curent kernel not old one

4. Stoiko Ivanov

Staff Member

Proxmox VE 3.x has been EOL for quite long now. I would not recommend to keep your containers running there!
    If the containers worked with PVE 5.2 then they should work with PVE 5.3 - I guess you have `devpts` somewhere in the containers `/etc/fstab` - and this is not needed and does not work with LXC 3.0.1 and newer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Bidi

Bidi Member

Yes i got this
    none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

If i remove it dose it will work on 5.3 ?
    "Proxmox VE 3.x has been EOL for quite long now." I know but i dont have any other options because i`m not able to migrate them to proxmox 5.3 because of the problem mentioned so i`m sort of stuck there with some server with 3.4/3.5

6. Stoiko Ivanov

Staff Member

Can't guarantee that it will work - but it's one of the solutions which helps in those cases - so try to remove both lines and start the container again.

Else our documentation regarding migrating from OpenVZ to LXC was focussed on PVE 3.x and 4.x but check it out in case the problem remains:
    https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Convert_OpenVZ_to_LXC

7. Bidi

Bidi Member

Just tested and i work, centos openvz from proxmox 3.4 restored on 5.3 erased fstab and all normal now

Thank you

8. Stoiko Ivanov

Staff Member

You're welcome - glad it worked out!

Please mark the thread as SOLVED, so that others know what to expect! - Thanks

9. Kephin

Kephin New Member

Commenting to point out that fstab indeed contains a devpts rule if you migrate a centos 6 openvz container to proxmox 5.3. Having this rule was no problem untill recently but commenting this line out works seems to aid in a solution.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice