hieve

May 29, 2017
Hello there,

I'm currently moving my Server to a new one and started with a fresh installation.
I installed Debian Stretch Minimal and ontop Proxmox with the actual Version.
I have tried with and without Software Raid and got similar results with pveperf which is confusing me a bit.
heres the current result without software raid
pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS: 57466.40
REGEX/SECOND: 3586397
HD SIZE: 1817.42 GB (/dev/sda3)
BUFFERED READS: 150.47 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 12.80 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 41.26
DNS EXT: 20.54 ms
DNS INT: 3.98 ms ()

Hoster is Hetzner, drive is a WDC WD2000FYYZ-01UL1B2

The last Server which had similar specs, except an even more used HDD (24.000hrs, this one has 12.000hrs already) dropped until !5! fsync in its last moments, after a fresh installation it was in the same range like the one above.

So my Question - is there anything wrong with my setup/installation or are these drives just scrap?
It seems that these similar drives are built in most of their servers in the price range around 50€/m.

Hi,

what fs do you use as rootfs?

Hi,

what fs do you use as rootfs?

the tested /dev/sda3 uses ext4 , like in the default installation of the proxmox images from hetzner itself(I tried their proxmox version 4 images also, these have similar results like mentioned above)

I guess it was faster on PVE3?

If so it is normal,
because ext4 use barriers, ext3 not, so this is why your system has less syncs.

I guess it was faster on PVE3?

If so it is normal,
because ext4 use barriers, ext3 not, so this is why your system has less syncs.

hmm yeah I read about that.
So can I work with these values or is under the requirements of proxmox? I read somewhere 200 fsync minimum.
The old Server had huge IO Delay, especially when Data Syncs were made with owncloud for example, so that appliances in different VM's were stuttering. I hoped to remove that with a newer System, but it looks like it will be the same problematic after all.

It dependence what you like to do?
If you have only big files and no DB running it will be ok.
But it is dependence very hard on the r/w pattern and also if you can live with delays.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!