Reading SSD wearout indicator

gijsbert

Oct 13, 2008
First of all I'd like to say: proxmox rocks :)

We are using Seagate XF1230-1A0960 SSD-disks. Using the proxmox GUI I see that the wearout indicator status is N/A (see attached image). However when I check the SMART-status I see attribute 177 (Wear Leveling Count) and these have the following values:

Value: 64
Normalized: 100
Treshhold: 0
Worst: 100

Can anyone tell me:

1) Why proxmox GUI reports N/A
2) What these values of attribute 177 mean? These disks are brand new and have not been used

Thanks for any reply...

Gijsbertwearout.png

wearout.png

I checked the manual at seagate: http://www.seagate.com/files/www-co...ster/Nytro XF1230 SATA SSD Product Manual.pdf

The following attributes might be very useful to monitor:

231 SSD Life Left (%) ==> Indicates the approximate SSD life left, in terms of program/erase cycles or Flash blocks currently available for use.

==> Proxmox (or smartmontools on Debian) calls this attribute 'Temperature Celsius' :)

245 SSD Life Left ==> Indicates the approximate SSD life left, in terms of program/erase cycles or Flash blocks currently available for use.

==> Proxmox (or smartmontools on Debian) calls this attribute 'Unknown Attribute'

177 Endurance Limit Met ==> Indicates the number of NAND wear

==> Proxmox (or smartmontools on Debian) calls this attribute 'Wear Leveling Count'

Just some additional information for people using Seagate Nitro SSD disks. It might be useful to monitor smart ID 231 and 245 :)

Gijsbert

Reactions: Indigo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!