Questions & Comments

oakleeman

Nov 28, 2006
I've been working with the free version of Proxmox Gateway 1.6 for about 2 weeks now. I'm testing it in two different NATed environments, a MailEnable Enterprise 2.0 server and a Server 2003 Exchange server.

One thing I've noticed is that after some statistics have been collected, if you enable "Advanced Statistics" and go back to statistics nothing is there. I left it that way for several hours and never saw the statistics updated until I went back and unchecked advanced.

With the ME server setup I have configured the "Mark Spam" rule to also quarantine the message and have noticed that when a message gets quarantined and the user tries to deliver it, it bounces back. This is a result of a setting on the ME server that "Do not accept mail from non-existant domains". I think it checks to see that an MX record exists for the domain to make sure that messages from say asgalerejl@sgaetagi3.vagte don't get through the system. Granted this is something that should be brought up with ME but for compatability sake would it be possible to include a setting to specify a from address?

I've also noticed that even if a user adds an e-mail address to the whitelist messages from that e-mail address still get marked as SPAM and quarantined. Have I configured something wrong or is this part of the "have to buy" functionality? If this has to be purchased, is there a way to remove the "Whitelist" & "Blacklist" buttons from the daily quarantine e-mail?

Actually I think I just figured out what the problem was. *@domain.com had been added to the user's blacklist and user@domain.com was added to the user's whitelist. When the message comes through it looks like proxmox processes the blacklist before processing the whitelist or doesn't process all of the filters before making the decision of what do do with the message.

Web based backup & restore functionality isn't allowed on the free version but does appear to be allowed via SSH. The SSH backup states that it can backup to the network storage specified in the scheduled backups tab. Is there a way to configure the network location from SSH and use a crontab to schedule it?

The system can't be updated via the web interface, but can it be updated via SSH? If not, when a new version is released is there a way to upgrade to the new system without losing statistics & user's whitelist/blacklist?

It looks like ClamAV gets updated daily, but how often does Spamassassin get updated? This is one question that my boss was very animate about me finding out about. Under our current system the rules get updated daily but is very hard for us to administer.

Is there a way to train the Bayesian filter, like specifying ham & noham addresses that it can use to learn or an e-mail address (spam@proxmox.domain.com for example) that a spam message that slipped through the system get forwarded to?

I've also noticed that on both systems sometimes the swap file suddenly shoots through the roof when I'm working with a log file or messing with a rule and the web interface becomes unresponsive until I reboot the system via SSH. The ME configured system is a 512MB, P4-2.8 virtual appliance and the Exchange system is a 512MB, P3-733 physical machine. Neither system is that heavily loaded, maybe 1000 messages per day or so.

I'll be enabling the quarantine on the Exchange proxmox tomorrow night, I'll let you know if I run into problems.

Guess that oughta keep you guys busy for a bit, I'll post more as I find it.

Also do you have any sort of donation process in place? I like to show appreciation to companies that make such outstanding products but can't afford the full USD price, especially when it actually cost more than what we paid for the actual mail server.

I've also found a way to add new rules and enable/disable rules in the free version, anybody in particular this should be reported to?

One thing I've noticed is that after some statistics have been collected, if you enable "Advanced Statistics" and go back to statistics nothing is there. I left it that way for several hours and never saw the statistics updated until I went back and unchecked advanced.

Advanced Statistic display results for active users only. Active users are users who sends mail (outgoing mails). So if you do not send outgoing mails through the proxmox mailgateway nothing is displayed.

With the ME server setup I have configured the "Mark Spam" rule to also quarantine the message and have noticed that when a message gets quarantined and the user tries to deliver it, it bounces back. This is a result of a setting on the ME server that "Do not accept mail from non-existant domains". I think it checks to see that an MX record exists for the domain to make sure that messages from say asgalerejl@sgaetagi3.vagte don't get through the system. Granted this is something that should be brought up with ME but for compatability sake would it be possible to include a setting to specify a from address?

No, thats not possible. Can't you configure your MTA to accept those mails? We also use Exchange 2003 Servers without problems.

I've also noticed that even if a user adds an e-mail address to the whitelist messages from that e-mail address still get marked as SPAM and quarantined. Have I configured something wrong or is this part of the "have to buy" functionality? If this has to be purchased, is there a way to remove the "Whitelist" & "Blacklist" buttons from the daily quarantine e-mail?

Actually I think I just figured out what the problem was. *@domain.com had been added to the user's blacklist and user@domain.com was added to the user's whitelist. When the message comes through it looks like proxmox processes the blacklist before processing the whitelist or doesn't process all of the filters before making the decision of what do do with the message.

No, that should work. Please can you send me a backup of you system - I can then check whats wrong.

Web based backup & restore functionality isn't allowed on the free version but does appear to be allowed via SSH. The SSH backup states that it can backup to the network storage specified in the scheduled backups tab. Is there a way to configure the network location from SSH and use a crontab to schedule it?

The 'free' Version is free but has limitetd functionality.

The system can't be updated via the web interface, but can it be updated via SSH? If not, when a new version is released is there a way to upgrade to the new system without losing statistics & user's whitelist/blacklist?

No, thats not possible.

It looks like ClamAV gets updated daily, but how often does Spamassassin get updated? This is one question that my boss was very animate about me finding out about. Under our current system the rules get updated daily but is very hard for us to administer.

We do not update SA rules automatically, because we do careful evaluations before activation new rules. So SA updates are done with our servicepacks.

Is there a way to train the Bayesian filter, like specifying ham & noham addresses that it can use to learn or an e-mail address (spam@proxmox.domain.com for example) that a spam message that slipped through the system get forwarded to?

No

I've also noticed that on both systems sometimes the swap file suddenly shoots through the roof when I'm working with a log file or messing with a rule and the web interface becomes unresponsive until I reboot the system via SSH. The ME configured system is a 512MB, P4-2.8 virtual appliance and the Exchange system is a 512MB, P3-733 physical machine. Neither system is that heavily loaded, maybe 1000 messages per day or so.

I never observed such bebavior - maybe you have a very slow harddisk?

I'll be enabling the quarantine on the Exchange proxmox tomorrow night, I'll let you know if I run into problems.

Guess that oughta keep you guys busy for a bit, I'll post more as I find it.

Also do you have any sort of donation process in place? I like to show appreciation to companies that make such outstanding products but can't afford the full USD price, especially when it actually cost more than what we paid for the actual mail server.

You can donate to our free Firewall product: http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=149949

Best regards,

Dietmar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!