question about the HA cluster

adel87

Mar 1, 2015
Hi every one
I hope that you are fine
Please I want to know what is the best
having the cluster configured in the proxmox or configuration the cluster in the vm directly
Thank you

Hi every one
I hope that you are fine
Please I want to know what is the best
having the cluster configured in the proxmox or configuration the cluster in the vm directly
Thank you

This would depend on what you are clustering.

Proxmox clustering provides centralised management of multiple physical hosts on which to run virtual machines as well as high availability which allows for automatic restarting of whole VM's on a different physical node should the current one fail.

This is not the same as application level clustering which happens inside a guest operating system such as Microsoft SQL Server. This for example is designed to provide a unified 'cluster' instance of a running application of who's individual services can be distributed within the cluster for redundancy and performance.

Hi thank you
I want to cluster postgresql application
Also I'm new in the proxmox ,I don't find a pdf documention of proxmox just the website
Thank you

Hi thank you
I want to cluster postgresql application
Also I'm new in the proxmox ,I don't find a pdf documention of proxmox just the website
Thank you

What is your reason for clustering? If you are doing it for scalability or replication then Proxmox clustering won't help you... It will simply protect the virtual machines you have Postgres running in from physical hardware failure.

You can however run a number of virtual machines on proxmox nodes and make a postgres cluster out of them which then allows you to have a proper postgres cluster and use connection pooling, replication etc... Whilst also protecting those systems from hardware failure.

Have a read of this:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication,_Clustering,_and_Connection_Pooling

If all you want to do is provide some level of protection against hardware failure for your postgres system, then you can just run your system in a single VM on a proxmox cluster and enable HA. That way it can be auto-restarted on another node should a hardware failure occur.

Last edited:
Hi thank you
Please I don't understand how proxmox cluster work
thank you

Do you have any experience with virtualisation clustering of any kind? VMWare, HyperV etc? Or even single host virtualisation for that matter?

I don't mean to sound harsh but if the answer the above question is 'no' then you should do some research about virtualisation & virtualisation HA in general first before jumping the gun and trying to configure a cluster with proxmox on which to run Postgres.

Hi
thank you
Yes I make HA cluster with two node with centos 6 with luci
Thank you

Hi
thank you
Yes I make HA cluster with two node with centos 6 with luci
Thank you

Ok, that is a linux Redhat cluster. Proxmox is for virtualisation. I don't understand what you want to do now.

There is plenty of docs to get you started with proxmox on the wiki. I would reccomend installing proxmox on a single server and getting a feel for it, making some VM's etc... Then set up a 3 node cluster with shared storage for example.

Apart from that, I can't suggest anything else.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!