Question about the backups

Diogo Jesus

Oct 16, 2017
Hello,

At this moment we're running a server from SoYouStart (32Gb RAM / 6To Disk Space).
We are working on the idea of getting 2 + servers to invest in a cluster.

The question here is about the backups. For the last 3 months, sometimes proxmox will randomly restart while doing backups. I checked everything that I could but coulnd't find anything so far (no info on the logs).

I suspect that it can be a problem related to the disks itself. SoYouStart don't manage our server. Means that If something is faulty, I need to give them proofs and only then they do the replacement. I'll do the disks tests and also the raid test tomorrow night. Since we don't have a cluster and we're in production already.

I came today to the forums to ask if it's normal for a LXC container with 20Go of used disk (our mail server) to take 3h+ for the backup. If no, is there any advices that you could give me to try tomorrow night while I do the maintenance?

Our I/O delay is always hitting the 35% / 40% during the backup times. Isn't that to much? Our backup folder is a NFS disk also from SoYouStart.

Proxmox version used is the 5.2. I will also perform the update for the 5.3 tomorrow during the night.

Thank you for your time,

Diogo Jesus

Hi,
Our I/O delay is always hitting the 35% / 40% during the backup times. Isn't that to much?
The NFS of OVH is overcommitted and slow.
So it is completely normal that you have a high io wait because you wait that the write on the NFS is finished.
I would make a local backup and move it later to the nfs server, this is much faster.

Reactions: Diogo Jesus
Hi,

The NFS of OVH is overcommitted and slow.
So it is completely normal that you have a high io wait because you wait that the write on the NFS is finished.
I would make a local backup and move it later to the nfs server, this is much faster.

Thanks for the advice. yesterday I was also thinking about that, and did a simple container backup in local. Didn't check the I/O. But I saw that the backup time was quite similar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!