Question about iSCSI storage ("advanced options")

Belokan

Apr 27, 2016
Hello,

First of all thanks a lot for this great piece of software !

I did not knew about Proxmox 2 weeks ago when I was about to set up a lab@home based on 2 NUC in order to play arround with ESXi. Main goal was to "consolidate" several virtualboxes/dockers (running on 2 Syno) and few raspberry pies.

I've followed a link while googling and ended up on PM website.

Now I have a running 2 nodes cluster with shared storage providing me (more or less?) all that ESXi/VCenter could provide me but for free (was about to use my VMware corporate's licenses btw).

I have two questions about storage. My LAB is based on 2 Synology providing NFS & iSCSI targets and 2 PVE nodes running pvetest (4.1.34).

1.- Could it be possible to assign a full iSCSI target to a VM instead of just having the option to add LUN by LUN ? As I provision my LUNs by target, storage side, it may help as well when adding a LUN on the NAS to have it automatically available to the VM(s) linked to this specific target.

2.- I've configured two VMs with Veritas InfoScale 7 (formerly Storage Foundation) and each VM has access to the same iSCSI LUNs on both NAS. I use Volume Manager to mirror the data on both NAS. I know it's a bit overkill but that's my job and I'm skilled to easily manage/debug this type of configuration Vs drbd/pacemaker. If I attach 2 LUNs coming from NAS1 and 2 LUNs from NAS2 to the VMs (using virtio controller) all LUNs are "tagged" by Volume Manager as if they're from the same enclosure and named virtio0_0 (1st LUN of 1st virtio enclosure) to virtio0_3 (4th LUN of first virtio enclosure).
Could it be possible to split LUN to several virtio controllers in PM in order to "see" virtio0_0/virtio0_1 for LUNs from NAS1 and virtio1_0/virtio1_1 for LUNs from NAS2 ? This will help to know what is coming from what and to configure mirroring based on enclosure ...

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!