qmrestire by CLI with bug on PVE 2.2

cesarpk

Mar 31, 2012
Hi to all

To PVE Team, and to anyone who can help me:

With CLI for KVM I use vzdump and qmrestore on a NFS storage into of PVE (ISO installer)
The VM have a HDD with 250 GB. into a image vm-110-disk-1.raw format in /var/lib/vz/images/110

All Hosts always have installed PVE 2.2 (ISO installer) with the latest updates and join into the PVE cluster. before starting to do something

The messages are:

vzdump:
Nov 10 02:03:10 INFO: Starting Backup of VM 110 (qemu)
Nov 10 02:03:10 INFO: status = stopped
Nov 10 02:03:11 INFO: backup mode: stop
Nov 10 02:03:11 INFO: ionice priority: 7
Nov 10 02:03:11 INFO: creating archive '/mnt/temp/kvm4/vzdump-qemu-110-2012_11_10-02_03_10.tar.gz'
Nov 10 02:03:11 INFO: adding '/mnt/temp/kvm4/vzdump-qemu-110-2012_11_10-02_03_10.tmp/qemu-server.conf' to archive ('qemu-server.conf')
Nov 10 02:03:11 INFO: adding '/var/lib/vz/images/110/vm-110-disk-1.raw' to archive ('vm-disk-virtio0.raw')
Nov 10 04:18:16 INFO: Total bytes written: 268435458560 (31.59 MiB/s)
Nov 10 04:18:17 INFO: archive file size: 28.47GB
Nov 10 04:18:17 INFO: Finished Backup of VM 110 (02:15:07)
=> so far it's all good

After I install PVE (ISO installer) on the same host, run updates and join into the PVE cluster.
=> so far it's all good

Then i execute by CLI the command qmrestore with their respective parameters:
qmrestore:

extracting archive '/mnt/temp/kvm4/vzdump-qemu-110-2012_11_10-02_03_10.tar.gz'
extracting 'qemu-server.conf' from archive
extracting 'vm-disk-virtio0.raw' from archive
Formatting '/var/lib/vz/images/110/vm-110-disk-1.raw', fmt=raw size=32768
new volume ID is 'local:110/vm-110-disk-1.raw'
restore data to '/var/lib/vz/images/110/vm-110-disk-1.raw' (268435456000 bytes)
tar: write error <---- why error???
268435456000 bytes copied, 16117 s, 15.88 MiB/s
TASK OK <---- why OK????

My PVE configuration (both nodes):
pve-manager: 2.2-26 (pve-manager/2.2/c1614c8c)
running kernel: 2.6.32-16-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.2-80
pve-kernel-2.6.32-16-pve: 2.6.32-80
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.4-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.93-1
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.9-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-28
qemu-server: 2.0-64
pve-firmware: 1.0-21
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-37
libpve-access-control: 1.0-25
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-34
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 4.0-1pve2
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.2-7
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

My configuration file "exports":
/var/lib/vz/backups x.y.z.a/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)
#Note: I use the options "sync" because is more sure

I don't understand why the task of qmrestore said OK if i get the message "tar: write error".
But this VM starts perfectly, then I think, will there be a data error somewhere on this VM??????

I beleive that is a bug

I will be very grateful to anyone who can answer these questions and to anyone of PVE team who can correct this problem

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:
Basically, there are 2 different bugs.

bug1: qmrestore reports OK although tar failed: This is already fixed - please update your installation.

bug2: tar reports error after successful restore: this is a bug in tar, but it is harmelss. This only happens sometimes.

AFAIR some users reported that using tar from wheezy solves the problem.

Basically, there are 2 different bugs.

bug1: qmrestore reports OK although tar failed: This is already fixed - please update your installation.

bug2: tar reports error after successful restore: this is a bug in tar, but it is harmelss. This only happens sometimes.

AFAIR some users reported that using tar from wheezy solves the problem.

Wow!!! thanks Dietmar for your prompt response

but I must be understand that PVE team do will not solve the bug?
And if the PVE team do will not solve this bug, how can i solve it from wheezy? - please explain me of a clear manner.

Best regards
Cesar

just download the tar package from wheezy and install it with dpkg -i ....

just download the tar package from wheezy and install it with dpkg -i ....

Thanks Tom for your prompt response

But i don't know where is his repository, do you can show me how download it by CLI ?
and about the question to PVE team, will solve this bug?, because if the answer is yes, i will wait

Best regards
Cesar

there is no bug on the pve code, its an issue with tar but already solved with a newer version. for standard debian tasks like working with apt and package repository, read a book like the free debian book, see http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/ and visit www.debian.org

Thanks Tom for your recomendation, i will read the handbook, and
Thanks Udo for your quick response for solution to my problem now !!!

In this forum you are all good companions :p

And for now let me to do two questions:

is correct that?:
1- If i will download from http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/ma...26-4_amd64.deb , this file isn't dangerous for install on PVE, and instead my new binary tar work more finest

2- This tar 1.26-4 version was designed to debian wheezy and it is compatible with squeeze - I don't understand why with the command "aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade" don't update my tar file version. The quick answer is welcome

New edition due to a new question:
3- Tom said that "but already solved with a newer version. for standard debian tasks like working with apt and package repository"... So what did he mean by this?

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:
asking all things again and again makes no sense and just doubles work for all.

download the new tar package from wheezy and install it.

if you have still issue, report it again.

CUT
is correct that?:
1- If i will download from http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/ma...26-4_amd64.deb , this file isn't dangerous for install on PVE, and instead my new binary tar work more finest

If Tom suggested you to do so, trust him (is not a general rule that a package from a different release version will work, though)

2- This tar 1.26-4 version was designed to debian wheezy and it is compatible with squeeze - I don't understand why with the command "aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade" don't update my tar file version. The quick answer is welcome
that command updates your current version, that is squeeze, while the "fixed" tar is in weezy. Would be a disaster if that command would mix files from both releases

New edition due to a new question:
3- Tom said that "but already solved with a newer version. for standard debian tasks like working with apt and package repository"... So what did he mean by this?

That he does not want to be rude, but nor spend time teaching the "basic" stuff about debian and it's package manager.
Really you should google and learn those basics (I did time ago ;)).
This forum is very friendly about proxmox problem, and often in giving novices the "good direction", but has to focus on Proxmox only, expecially regarding proxmox team member's time (I'm sure you understand).
Best regards

Ok Tom and mmenaz, and i apologize for doing basic questions, i know about Red Hat, fedora, Centos, etc., but I'm not very familiar with debian and i will seek to familiarize myself and avoid such questions.

For all people thanks for your attention and time and i want to especially thank mmenaz for your kind attention.

Best regards
Cesar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!