qm migrate --online --with-local-disks -> is copying block level

andy77

Jul 6, 2016
Hello @ all,

I am wondering if it is really nececerry to use block-level copying on "qm migrate --online --with-local-disks"?

Because having volumes with 400GB for example and only a couple of gigs are used inside (thin provisioning), takes of course long to copy on block-level instead copying only the file stream.

With zfs send | zfs receive, zfs is copying only the file stream wich of course, in my example, takes just a couple of seconds.

Regards

Hi,

zfs send/receive is can't be used when the guest is online.
I am wondering if it is really nececerry to use block-level copying on "qm migrate --online --with-local-disks"?
What is the working alternative?

Hi Wolfgang,

zfs send/receive is can't be used when the guest is online.
aha, I didn't knew that.

I though it is possible this way:
Code:
take a initial snapshot -> zfs send the snapshot -> suspend machine -> take a final snapshot -> zfs send incremental the final snapshot -> unsuspend machine on new node.

We have discussed this way in the past and we will not implement this semi-online mode.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!