[SOLVED] qm create --template option clarification

pew

May 24, 2018
Hi, I'm working on configuration some new infrastructure and am planning to use templates, so I'm wondering what this option does.

According to the documentation (man qm), it it's to "Enable/disable Template", however, that doesn't really make sense to me since the command is for creating a new VM. Can someone please clarify?

Hi,

in short, it makes the VM immutable.
If the VM would not be immutable.
All linked clones what use this template as base can't start anymore after the base has changed.

Ok, I think I understand. For some reason I assumed you would always want to customize the VM somewhat before creating a template from it.

So just to make sure, if I did want to customize the VM before creating a template from it, I would need to create the VM (w/o --template), then later use 'qm template' to convert it to a template right?

Thanks

The template options are only needed for lined clones, not for full clones.
So just to make sure, if I did want to customize the VM before creating a template from it, I would need to create the VM (w/o --template), then later use 'qm template' to convert it to a template right?
This is correct.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!