qemu-guest-agent documentation improvement

BloodyIron

Renowned Member
Jan 14, 2013
it.lanified.com
Hi Folks!

I'm just actually checking out the qemu-guest-agent for Linux stuff, and I noticed a few areas of the documentation that would benefit from clarity.

I'm referring to : https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent

My thoughts:
  1. The page should mention the VM needs to be turned off for the "Qemu Agent" option being turned to "yes" to take effect. Rebooting does not address it. Also perhaps mention it's safe to turn on while running, but nothing in the VM is changed until you power off, and back on.
  2. Point out that the qemu-guest-agent service will not be able to run until the VM has been turned off and back on _after_ the "Qemu Agent" option has also been set to Yes.
Just some small things, but if this clarity had been in the documentation it would have saved me a bit of worry as many other docs about qemu-guest-agent online talk about manually making a xml file for this, but I'm not seeing that as necessary.

Hope this helps :)

Yes, this is true but no change on the hardware page does take affect if there is some "red" altered text without the VM being stopped and started again, so this is nothing special for the agent.

Reactions: spirit
While this is indeed the case, I think the clarification in the language could go a long way for those new to this element.

Yes, this is true but no change on the hardware page does take affect if there is some "red" altered text without the VM being stopped and started again, so this is nothing special for the agent.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!