[SOLVED] Qemu/disk migration network. Is it "Corosync/cluster" network, or native bridge?

hibouambigu

Jun 27, 2019
Greetings Proxmoxians!

I've got a Proxmox network question that I hope someone can answer as I can't seem to find a clue myself.
I've read through forums, best practices and the Admin Guide.

There are 4 servers in a cluster. However, Ceph is not going to be used in this deployment, because the servers are two pairs of matched hardware. So it's kind of like a cluster of two clusters?
The aim of clustering is just a single pane of glass, and to facilitate offline and/or live migration and possibly storage replicas (using Proxmox VE 6.0) between "like" server pairs for planned maintenance/etc. A bit of downtime for a VM is ok during planned migration or VM recovery, but a host's reliability or networking fault would be too long of a downtime to experience. So I'm hardening the local host configuration and networking side of things.

The requirement for a separate (and preferably redundant) cluster/corosync network is understood.

My confusion lies in which particular network is used during VM disk migration and/or storage replication, if the disk needs to be migrated over the network.

Perhaps it is my reading of it, but it's not incredibly clear to me from the networking section of the guide:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Separate_Cluster_Network

Is the VM disk migration network the separate "cluster/corosync" network defined in the /etc/pve/corosync.conf? Or is it the native bridge the cluster uses? ... or something else I've not considered? I've only got 1x 10GbE NIC per server (and 2x 1Gb each as well), so would like to make sure the 10GbE is used for the most critical bandwidth hogs in the event of a needed downtime.

Perhaps the question would be rephrased as: How do I separate VM migration and/or storage replica traffic from the critical cluster traffic?

Thanks in advance (and big congrats on VE 6.0 release!)

Perhaps the question would be rephrased as: How do I separate VM migration and/or storage replica traffic from the critical cluster traffic?
You can set the migration network in the datacenter.cfg, see below. Both will take this network for its transfers.
migration: [type=]<secure|insecure> [,network=<CIDR>]

For cluster wide migration settings.

network=<CIDR>
CIDR of the (sub) network that is used for migration.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/datacenter.cfg.5.html

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!