Q: Sysprep of Win VMs from Clone:Template?

fortechitsolutions

Renowned Member
Jun 4, 2008
Hi, this is possibly a bit 'silly' sounding, but I was hoping to elicit feedback from a few other people who may have some real experience with this.I've deployed various Windows VMs for various clients on various ProxVE versions over the past ~5 years (Win2003 through Win2008r2 mainly; some instances of virtual XP or Win7Pro as well and occasional SBS variants).I have never actually done 'sysprep' on a machine which is a clone:replica of another VM. Usually my drill, if I need 2 VMs of the same Base OS:-- install first one clean-- stop it cold, make a backup copy using vzdump and qmrestore-- prep a new copy from this 'backup/template'; assign new MAC address(es) to the NIC(s) on the new VM; spin it up; change its IP and hostname-- then spin up the original one from which it was based, and merrily go about business. (fix up licensing:key as required, install apps, etc)This approach has worked fine for me.Recently however a client asked me for comments on how important it is to run 'sysprep' on a VM after building it out using this kind of clone approach; ie, to change SID of the system.I was just curious if anyone has thoughts:comments around this.Thanks!Tim

Isn't sysprep a way to change unique ID for an instance?
If answer to the above question is yes then I should think from a legal perspective sysprep is an absolute requirement, otherwise you are braking the Windows license.

>>Isn't sysprep a way to change unique ID for an instance?

Yes.

You can have some problem if you use a domain, as all vms have the same id, if you remove 1 vm from domain, all vms will be removed from the domain.
Also this can give some ntfs security problems, one local admin of 1 vm can have admin access to other vms too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!