pveceph createosd makes "partitions" instead of "osd.x"

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by ravib123, Mar 5, 2017.

1. ravib123

ravib123 Member

Just setting up a new 8 node cluster.

Each node offers two OSDs.

Looking at this what I am experiencing is that I seem to be capped at 14 OSDs for the whole cluster.

I was curious if this is just a change to Ceph.pm because I found this line:

pg_bits => {

description => "Placement group bits, used to specify the " .

"default number of placement groups.\n\nNOTE: 'osd pool " .

"default pg num' does not work for default pools.",

type => 'integer',

default => 6,

optional => 1,

minimum => 6,

maximum => 14,

2. dietmar

dietmar Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

That maximum is for placement groups and in 'bits' => 2^14 (that should be enough). This is not related to the number of OSDs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ravib123

ravib123 Member

Ok,

Well what would cause the pveceph createosd to make something listed in the GUI as "partition" and not actually create the OSD past osd.14?

4. tom

tom Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

try to remove all old data/partitions on these disks, e.g. go to "Disks" and click "Initialize Disk with GPT".

sometimes some old data prevents the creation, I remember similar issue with using old disks from a ZFS setup. I had to totally clean (with dd) the first part of the disk to get it running for Ceph.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ravib123

ravib123 Member

I saw your previous post about that, these were fresh disks but I did the following:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1000000000 count=1
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1000000000 count=1

then

ceph-disk zap /dev/sda
    ceph-disk zap /dev/sdb

then

pveceph createosd /dev/sda
    pveceph createosd /dev/sdb

I still end up with only partitions and osd.14 and osd.15 are never created.

6. Ashley

Ashley Member

I have seen this for myself, before you create the OSD in Proxmox create the OSD root folder.

It should then be fine, since the update to Jewel I have noticed quite often Proxmox will fail to create the root OSD folder so when it gets to mounting the OSD it will just fail.

7. ravib123

ravib123 Member

So I created:

/var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-14
    /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-15

Then re-ran the steps as described above.

It failed to produce different results.

Manual mounting of those did change the "partitions" markings under disks to osd.14 and osd.15 but apparently the script fails fully at that point because the "osd.14" and "osd.15" are not seen by ceph

8. ravib123

ravib123 Member

So my next steps:

remove node7, reformat, add back to cluster as node7a.

dd the first 1G of the drives.
    pveceph zap the drives
    init the drives and make OSD from CLI or from GUI....

It took many fully removals of everything and attempts.

Realistically I didnt do anything different, just a fresh install. There was the same result out of the gate failed to create/mount osd fully, script failed at different points every time but I was left with my disks showing as partitions and no OSD being usable.

I just kept deleting and re-adding the entire osd (osd rm, osd auth del, etc). I suspect it was two fold as the core issue:

1. Proxmox perl scripting failed to create /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-13+ (I tried above 15 and it failed still)
    2. Manually created osd mount points may have needed different permissions to be used

Useful notes in my resolution:
    docs.ceph.com/docs/jewel/rados/operations/add-or-rm-osds/
    lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2014-April/038664.html
    github.com/ceph/ceph-docker/issues/171

9. KnowVation

KnowVation Member
    Proxmox Subscriber

Hi
    I had the same problem trying to create .osds which then turned into partitions. I used gparted and found out that after formating the disks with fdisk they were all in zfs format. With gparted I reformated sdb-sde as ext3 and then the create osd in proxmox worked again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice