PVE4 USB install fails

totalimpact

Renowned Member
Dec 12, 2010
I am trying to install to a Dell R720xd, with a single SSD on the H710 controller.

I have tried both pve4.0 and 4.1, with 4 different methods of writing the USB and they all fail.

Depending on whether I use iso emulation, or just write the image to the usb, I get different behavior.

First thing regardless is the boot screen image is of a abnormally low res, and oversized on the screen. A mouse is present, but it doesnt move. I select using the keyboard.

Using iso emulation, I get to the next screen where it should display the license, it is not shown but at the bottom are 2 buttons: Abort and Accept. Now I can no longer use tab, the machine is just locked up.

Using an image written to the usb, I get typical stuff I am used to seeing on 3x, loading megasas, crdom not found,... Press Ctrl D to reboot, but at this point I would usually be able to mount the image, and chroot in, but the screen is just locked up, no way to reboot accept pull power.

In debug install there is not much info other than:
modprobe: error: could not insert 'ghash_clmulni_intel'
a few more lines go by about cdrom not found, then the ctrl+d to reboot, and its locked up.

All my md5s look good.

While you are waiting for an answer by someone that has seen the problem and solve with R720xd, I would try to play with UEFI / CSM settings as well (just a shot in the dark).

I also keep hitting the same error during the install.
My hardware is different though - TS140 xeon 1245v3.

Hi, i have the same problem with dell t430 (PERC H730 controller) and proxmox 4.2.
When i start the installation i receive the follow message "modprobe error could not insert 'ghash_clmulni_intel' invalid argument".
Someone can help me?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!