PVE upgrade 6.4 > 7 network completely down

Aug 19, 2019
I am in the middle of upgrading PVE to 7.0 and - while still on 6.4. - I have no more network connection after a reboot.
The primary network device is down (and therefore also the vm bridges) and it is impossible to activate it manually with ifup

1632257083766.png

ifup fails too

1632257208237.png

I am trying to fix this with a separate console connection from Hetzner ("KVM-Konsole"), but I have no idea what to do now.

Any ideas from the community?

Thanks, Thommie

Please provide us with your network configuration cat /etc/network/interfaces and the output of ip a

See also https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-claiming-mac-address.52601/ for reference - this was the reason for the PVE update.

In my case, I had to solve MAC abuse complaints from Hetzner with updating to iproute2 first and then switch from PVE 6.4 to 7 and debian 11. Hetzner confirmed that the MAC problems is gone now.

A very ugly problem on this way was the failing of the iproute2 update. This caused a complete breakdown for the PVE network including the primary network card. The server was isolated even from the local Hetzner network. The solution required access with an external console (Hetzner KVM console). I could solve the issue by re-installing iproute2 again with dpkg manually through a rescue system.

Attachments

• 138.201.52.41_interfaces.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 11

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!