@pve team: Questions about the roadmap

m.ardito

Feb 17, 2010
Torino, Italy
Questions about the roadmap: as of today, the roadmap is:

• distributed storage system, Ceph’s RADOS Block Device (RBD) (work in progress)
  • Better resource monitoring
  • enhanced IO limits for VM´s
  • spice protocol (remote display system for virtualized desktops)

i've looked at ceph's rados page and (i don't get now really all the concepts but) looks really interesting: do you plan to get all the features in next pve versions or ust a subset, and which?

about better resource monitoring: what are you looking for? i played a bit some time ago with guestfish in fedora and looked great, interesting! it has the ability even to see windows registry inside vms, from outside, and all the filesystem... is that you are looking for or what else?

and what about the spice protocol? did you move it at the end of the roadmap's list for a reason? troubles, difficult integration, etc? i was looking for that for better desktop vms.

Thanks! Marco

Questions about the roadmap: as of today, the roadmap is:

• distributed storage system, Ceph’s RADOS Block Device (RBD) (work in progress)
  • Better resource monitoring
  • enhanced IO limits for VM´s
  • spice protocol (remote display system for virtualized desktops)

i've looked at ceph's rados page and (i don't get now really all the concepts but) looks really interesting: do you plan to get all the features in next pve versions or ust a subset, and which?

basically, you will have the possibility to store your KVM virutal disks on a ceph storage cluster.

about better resource monitoring: what are you looking for? i played a bit some time ago with guestfish in fedora and looked great, interesting! it has the ability even to see windows registry inside vms, from outside, and all the filesystem... is that you are looking for or what else?

this is quite huge topic and we also plan to use a guest agent.

and what about the spice protocol? did you move it at the end of the roadmap's list for a reason? troubles, difficult integration, etc? i was looking for that for better desktop vms.

Thanks! Marco

there is no real order in the list but we still miss the authentication for the spice protocol. also the spice client side is not that great yet.

basically, you will have the possibility to store your KVM virutal disks on a ceph storage cluster..

yes, and all the snapshotting, read only images, etc, i've read on their website, do you plan to use/offer those features too? that could be also interesting in a desktop vm usage scenario, probably... anyway it's just to know what to read in order to get a bit deep in those other projects you are planning to integrate in future pve versions.

more detailed info about your plans would be great in that respect... there's alot of (to me ) new tech to know/understand, it could limit a bit the docs range to read , at least... :)

Thanks, Marco

yes, we plan to add most useful features, step by step and if possible.

but as its not done yet no-one can tell you all details and and when it will be stable.

if you want to learn more about ceph/rdp contact/read ceph.com

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!