pve server shutdown - windows vm's stopped

screenie

Jul 21, 2009
hi,

i have pve 1.4 and 1.5 running linux and windows vm's virtualized with kvm;
when i am rebooting or shutting down the pve server, the linux vm's will be shutdown sucessfully, the windows vm's not - the windows vm's were stopped after some waiting time which results in an 'unexpected shutdown' to the windows vm's;

when i am logged on to the windows vm's with the console and then shutdown or reboot the pve server, the windows vm's also shutdown sucessfully;

so, why will the windows machines not shut down when no one is logged in and what can be done that this will work?

thx

I guess you have anonymous shutdown enabled via group policy?

I have also noticed, that when the logon screensaver is enabled, windows does not notice the shutdown signal and you need to press a key or move the mouse, then windows starts shutting down.

@ proxmox devs:

Do you use the 'system_powerdown' command to shut down the VMs?

Last edited by a moderator:
dear sires,

thank you, i am not a windows guy - so the hint to 'group policy' will point me into the right direction to look for....

hi,

i have pve 1.4 and 1.5 running linux and windows vm's virtualized with kvm;
when i am rebooting or shutting down the pve server, the linux vm's will be shutdown sucessfully, the windows vm's not - the windows vm's were stopped after some waiting time which results in an 'unexpected shutdown' to the windows vm's;

when i am logged on to the windows vm's with the console and then shutdown or reboot the pve server, the windows vm's also shutdown sucessfully;

so, why will the windows machines not shut down when no one is logged in and what can be done that this will work?

thx

Follow the link: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/2341-KVM-(Windows)-Backup-in-stop-mode

Hi,

Try to disable "Turning off the display" (and maybe 'Turning off hard disk" if enabled) in Windows power-saving settings.
Worked for us in W7 and W2008R2 guests (Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Change power-saving settings > ... > set "Never" for diplay and hard disk options).

Regards,
Pawel

www.ib.pl

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!