pve-no-subscription repository NOT recommended for production use ?

J

jfr

Hello,

just a question;

When I change my sources, I see this
# PVE pve-no-subscription repository provided by proxmox.com, NOT recommended for production usehttp://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories

And reading here,
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/15742-Details-about-the-new-pve-no-subscripton-repository
In short, pve-no-subscription is not a beta or unstable release repository. It is quite stable and well tested software and it is not the replacement of the old beta repo (pvetest). It is a replacement for the pve repository.

What should I do? ,
Use it in our few production servers because its quite stable and well tested, or not use it because its no recommended in production servers ?

Thanks,

Ok, thanks. I´m thinking about it.
Just found this change today when I reinstalled one server in V3.0.
I was trying to reduce monthly fees reducing the number of servers and found the change. Now I have 4 servers whith 3 virtual servers each one. I must think what to do; moving to a bigger server all my ct´s to pay one license; buying 4 community licences to my 12 ct´s; looking for other solutions; ...

Thanks !

Both positions are stated maybe a little too strongly. Actuality is somewhere between them.

Based on what Dietmar said, packages in the pve-no-subscription repo have been through all of their internal testing. A packages advances from pve-no-subscription to pve-enterprise based on the community not finding any problems that slipped past testing. So it is good but not bulletproof.

To use it with a production server, probably best to use it selectively. I.e. if you have a problem with a package from a release version, use the pve-no-subscription repository if it contains the fix, but don't just indiscriminately "apt-get upgrade" because new packages install is fun to watch.

For me selectively is difficult to use. When they move to the suscription-repo perhaps the updates in the non-suscription are newer. If I have problems whith one package, perhaps when I update the new package is not better.

If its not recommended for production, I think I must have a test server to see if in my environment the update is stable and not get surprised. Something not recommended is something dangerous.

Yes, selectively applying only self-tested updates that are confirmed to address a problem you actually have is more difficult than blindly clicking "update all" and hoping for a good result. It is also much better judgement, regardless of what repository you are using.

This is enterprise cloud software, not iPhone, and even using the enterprise repository does not change this.

Last edited:
yeah actually, we're used to vendors using the word 'recommend.' not that impressed. I have now gone to the trouble of setting up a junk cluster to test no-subscription updates on because of your 'not recommended' I don't have the room, but...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!