PVE/KVM and a lot of RAM

achekalin

Jun 17, 2011
Hello,

here is the config problem I face:

if I need to run as fast as it possible two windows guest machines (win 2003 r2 x86) with 4 Gb of RAM each, if I have say 16 or 32 Gigs of RAM in the host server will there be any significant difference in VMs speed due to in-RAM caching on host machine vs situation when host machine be equipped with say 8 or 10 Gigs of RAM? The host server is HP server with 2 x Xeons (4 cores) and 2 x SAS disks mirrored with BBU-equipped RAID card (410i), so the storage won't be too slow itself.

These Windows machines are terminal servers, so users on them may produce noticeable disk activity so disk caching may help, the only question is will PVE will use all of free RAM on host server to cache VMs disk operations?

Hello,

the only question is will PVE will use all of free RAM on host server to cache VMs disk operations?

yes, if you choose cache=writethrough or cache=writeback for you vm disk config, it will use all the ram available for buffer cache.

(Note: that you can achieve the same thing by adding more memory in your windows guest, but maybe linux can handle this better ..?..)

I have done extensive benchmarks with all of the cache modes.
cache=writethrough and cache=writeback do result in faster reads but writes are slower.

cache=none has best write speed but no host buffer cache for reads, if you want buffer cache add more RAM to the guest.

When I have heavy write VMs I use cache=none, heavy read VMs I use cache=writethrough.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!