PVE 6.2 - SSD speeds how to tune

bekax5

Nov 17, 2020
Hello,
I am new to Proxmox, and this is the first time I am using LVM so I am not yet fully used to how it works.

I installed PVE on a consumer SSD (Samsung 860 Evo 500GB) and had a 2TB WD Black HDD for some VMs.
No ZFS or Ceph is being used, and disks are single drives in LVM.
At first I installed an OMV VM and setup a 400GB partition to share through all the future VMs.
Then I created a Deluge container for some downloads.

Into my surprise I am unable to go faster than 33MB/s on any download.
Speedtests show me 900+Mbps to the internet and iperf between Container and OMV VM show me 30Gbps+.
I suspected the disk wouldn't be fast enough, even though it was supposed to handle 150MB/s+ sustained.

I changed the WD Black HDD into a 2TB MX500 SSD.
Not a single MB/s was gained in Deluge and it seems to be stuck under the same bottleneck.

Not OMV nor Deluge are using more than 30% CPU..
I don't understand what could be happening and I'd like your help to tune the system to improve speeds.
Any tip to where should I begin?

Hi,

Can you send the VM.config I guess your setting is not optimal.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!