PVE 5 : Three Node HA Cluster (Down to one Node)

Rais Ahmed

Apr 14, 2017
Hi all,
I have setup 3 nodes HA cluster using PVE 5, and trying to achieve that if 2 nodes down, quorum do not break. and all the vms moved to last standing node. i believe it is possible but my understanding is not clear as i am new to PVE. i have found there are few feature available but not tested it personally. how this can be achieve, need input from community regarding below features to achieve above scenario.

1. two_node
2. quorum votes:2 (for every node)
3. auto_tie_breaker
4. last_man_standing & last_man_standing_window
5. auto_tie_breaker
(If you have a cluster with an odd number of nodes and auto_tie_breaker enabled then it is compulsory to also specify wait_for_all) unable to understand what will be the behavior of this option.

check below PDF for refference
http://people.redhat.com/ccaulfie/docs/Votequorum_Intro.pdf

if anyone implemented the above scenario or have info please share
Thanks.

the last_man_standing and auto_tie_breaker config can work theoretically, but with both you are risking a split brain scenario
true quorum can only be achieved when having more than 50% of the votes
so everything apart from the default quorum configuration is not recommended

Reactions: Rais Ahmed
After added auto_tie_breaker, last_man_standing & last_man_standing_window in /etc/pve/corosync.conf. i have corrupted my cluster environment. node1 shows cannot initialize cmap service error. tried everything to resolve it but failed, node2 is active after pvecm expected 1 & holds all vms OK, meanwhile node3 shows quorum_initialize failed: 2 . tried to restart every services. after wasting few hours but failed.i have reinstalled all servers again & now creating HA environment again.
so i believe do not play with corosync.conf??

Yes, you are not suppose to play with corosync.conf, if you made a cluster using pve-command tools.

Reactions: Rais Ahmed

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!