PVE 4.2 install fails at Boot with non-UEFI Board

cave

Feb 18, 2016
Vienna
Hi,

Hence this is my first post here, and i did not want to place a dumb question, without doing enough research and testing before asking, it's a little bit detailed.

I want to upgrade my PVE v3.4 to 4.x on my HP Microserver N40L.

The Problem:
The Screen just goes dark when it should start booting from the USB drive. Power Button from the screen starts to blink.
It seems all the attempts to create a USB Bootable Device have failed. Changed USB Sticks and sizes a lot without success. Tried also various ways to create bootable usb disks. Tried all external and internal usb slots.
When i installed 3.0/3.1 it was easy peasy done with "dd" and just worked without any hassle.

So i bought an external USB DVD drive, and burned the iso to CD and DVD without any success. To bypass the possible USB problem.

Booting "GRML Gschistigschasti 2014/11" and "Debian Jessie 8.3 netinstall" works out of the box with "dd" on all of my usb sticks.
So my guess is, its not a probelm of my Boot Media.

Then i have seen, sometimes it shows for 1/4 second an error message before the screen goes dark.

So i video recorded the boot process and had luck to capture it after a few attempts. Watched it in VLC to select the frame with the error and voila.

"error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/efi_gop.mod"
"error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/efi_uga.mod"

Regarding the Changelog, EFI has been introduced in PVE 3.3. This reflects also the appearance of Proxmox EFI Boot problems in the google search. The Solution was to install v3.2 and upgrade to 3.3+.

The EFI specification defined a UGA (Universal Graphic Adapter) protocol as a way to support device-independent graphics. UEFI did not include UGA and replaced it with GOP (Graphics Output Protocol), with the explicit goal of removing VGA hardware dependencies.

The real Problem: The Server does not support EFI/UEFI and just stops when grub/proxmox tries to load EFI graphic protocol stack.
This explains also why my screen is going dark from one second to the other.

Do have i missed something? Is there an easy solution out there which i did not think of?

What are my options now?
Waiting for non-UEFI install ISO's? This would be the nicest solution for me.
How is Debian Jessie solving this issue? Is it possibly fixed in the next 4.x release? Or backported to a refreshed 4.2 ISO?
I guess this is not going to happen, otherwise someone else would have already reported this issue and claimed a fix. Am i the only and first one with this problem?

My other attempt is now to install Debian vanilla and install PVE afterwards on top.
Though the wiki is dated https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie and handles well for PVE 3.x. But not for changes in 4.x openVZ to LXC, systemd, pve-kernel...
Is lvm-data still mounted on "/var/lib/vz" for LXC? Also the install systemd-sysv and remove debian-kernel advice looks wrong for 4.x systems.

Or is it possible to boot with grml/debian and mount the ISO and do some chroot voodoo to startup the installer in an already running live system.

So please would you be so kind to create/update the wiki page for install ProxmoxVE on top of Debian Jessie for 4.x Version. Hence this would solve my problem. Updating the wiki to 4.x i guess, is already on your to-do list somewhere.

Thanks in Advance
Servus

Last edited:
Hi,

Though the wiki is dated https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie and handles well for PVE 3.x. But not for changes in 4.x openVZ to LXC, systemd, pve-kernel...
What should be wrong? I do not under stand your problem
Is lvm-data still mounted on "/var/lib/vz" for LXC? Also the install systemd-sysv and remove debian-kernel advice looks wrong for 4.x systems.
Why is it be wrong to remove the debian kernel if we use or own one?

yep you are right, nothing wrong.
installed Jessie and converted to ProxmoxVE 4.1.

Thanks, works

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!