Proxmox with ceph question

Digitaldaz

Renowned Member
Feb 19, 2014
I'm currently using VMWare with shared storage but am looking to using Proxmox with ceph. I want to utilize my existing hardware so can someone tell me if this is feasible please.

Initially I would be using the following:

2 x Dell R210 II with E3-1245v2, 32GB RAM and a three intel SSD 1 x 40Gb 2X160GB
2 x Homebuild with E3-1245v2 1x40GB Intel SSD and 8x1TB WD Blue

The homebuild servers have 4 gigabit network ports in them so I figure if I stick an extra dual port card in I can use the 4 gigabit ports for replication.
The two Dells have 10Gb netwok cards in plus 2 gigabit ethernet.

Thes are all plugged into a dell 5524 switch that has two 10Gb SPF+ ports

I'm hoping you will tell me that I can make a four node proxmox cluster with this. I will bond the 4 ports in each homebrew for ceph and use the 10GB in each dell

From the small amount of reading I have done I think that by editing the crushmap I can make the SSDs one bucket I think it is, and the HDDs another. Then make a pool for SSD storage and a pool for HDD storage.

Is this the case?

TIA

Daz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!