Proxmox + VM iSCSI vs local storage

blinkz

Feb 8, 2014
Hello !

I'm currently working on a new server with those specs :

Intel Xeon 8 core
2x250gb SSD raid1 (used to store the VM's and proxmox)
3x4TB as RAID5 (11 TB free space)
16gb memory

Proxmox runs fine :) my only wish is to set up a storage server. I want to use OpenMediaVault as a VM but I have few doubt on how to make it properly with maximum flexibility.

What's the best option to connect my 11TB storage for the OMV VM ? If it's possible I want to use LVM on it with for more flexibility if I want to make some change without altering all of the system.

- I don't think that mounting a virtual hard drive with 11TB in OMV is the best idea because if I want to split my 11TB storage in something like 9TB (storage) + 2 TB (other stuff) I will need to shrink the virtio HDD
- I thought about mounting a iscsi target with 1 LV of 11TB (and reduce it + adding another one LV if I need it in the future for other stuff).

Maybe i'm wrong or I don't understand some elementary things...

Thanks for readings.

I have a similar config as home-server:

2 x SSD RAID1 for Proxmox Stor1 (local)
3 x 2TB RAID 5 mounted as LVM Stor2 (LVM)

Mi OMV VM has two disks:
-Primary disk (just 8GB) on Stor1 (local)
-Data disk is alllocated in Stor 2
--I started defining this disk as 1TB , and progresible growed it (thanks to LVM) up to 2,5TB..

So OMV is used to provide storage to other PCs, but NOT for Proxmox.
For proxmox use, it is better to used directly LVM (define disks for VMs on Stor2).

regards

Last edited:
Is it possible to mount my RAID5 array directly in OMV instead of assign it a virtual hard disk drive ?

Of course.. in your vm conf you can do something like: ide2: /dev/dm-x ( path for the raid-5 )
or virtiox if it is supported..

Is it possible to mount my RAID5 array directly in OMV instead of assign it a virtual hard disk drive ?

Thank you!

I think I will mount my raid5 array directly on OMV VM and then manage the storage with lvm, gonna try & test if it's okay or not :)

Of course.. in your vm conf you can do something like: ide2: /dev/dm-x ( path for the raid-5 )
or virtiox if it is supported..

A question:
With this configuration, for KVM can work: live Backup, HA and Migration online?

Best regards
Cesar

afaik, HA and migration require cluster-shared storage, live Backup should work.

Marco

Excuse me, but is not necessarily so, DRBD is a system of synchronous and asynchronous of HDD partitions of the PVE Nodes, and for me it works perfectly HA and Live Migration when I use it with LVM + raw virtual disks, but I've never tried with the configuration described above.

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!