[SOLVED] Proxmox VE Login failed

ntf

Aug 19, 2013
Hello, I have a problem with the web interface: I can't log into it at all. Using ssh to the server works perfectly, then I can use command line to start or stop VMs and connecting to these via ssh or web services works as well. But trying to log into PVE's interface using the root account (realm: Linux PAM standard authentication) fails. So I've tried to create an admin PVE account as described here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/User_Management. The account appears in user.cfg and shadow.cfg, but it can't log into the web interface either. I've also seen this: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/14863-Cannot-log-into-WebGUI-All-VM-inside-working and tried the command to regenerate certificates. No error occurred, and I rebooted the server, but I still can't log in. This worked fairly well about three weeks ago, before I left for holidays. I made a dist-upgrade of the server this morning but had not used the web interface before that, so I don't know if it's the reason for the problem. :( Any help would be appreciated, thank you. PS: pveversion returns "pve-manager/3.0/957f0862"

Last edited:
Hi again. It is really weird. I can now login although I haven't done anything about it since my previous post (no password change, no configuration tweaking, not even a server restart...) The only unusual thing I have noticed in the meantime is that my ntp server had a problem and the proxmox host had significantly shifted. Now ntp is fixed and it works, but I don't know if it could be related in any way. I wonder because of "RRDC update error" appearing in the logs until yesterday around 16:30. Could it be the reason or should I dig some more, in case it happens again? :confused:

Last edited:
Thank you, I feel better knowing where it came from (and it's a strong incentive to pay closer attention to the important issue of good clock synchronization).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!