Proxmox-ve and Dell EqualLogic storage (iSCSI)

xPakrikx

Jan 15, 2019
Hi

Do you have any idea how can be connected Proxmox-ve and Dell EqualLogic storage (PS4210 iSCSI) ?
Currently we are using Group IP for connection to iSCSI targets... without any additional configuration like multipath etc... But i dont think this is proper setup, because of performance and also redundancy. So we are using only one iSCSI target

For proper multipath i need to use some special software from Dell ? HIT ? But this is supported only on RHEL.

Can i use eth0 and eth1 IPs with multipath on proxmox side ?

Very thanks for all ideas

Topology:

Server01-07 (2x10Gbit LACP bond) <-------> 2x Dell MXL switch stack <--------> Dell EQL PS4210

iSCSI traffic is in vlan.

With only one active port on EQL performance looks ok but with both active ports there is some performance degradation

Last edited:

bbgeek17

Nov 20, 2020
www.blockbridge.com
Does your EQL have dual connection to your switches from each controller?
If it does - is it also LACP bond? Is that where Group IP sits?
If it is - then you have redundancy, not the best from performance perspective but redundancy.

xPakrikx

Jan 15, 2019
LACP is only on server to switch side. On switch to storage side there are connected with 4 10Gbit cables (only two ports are active) there is no LACP on storage side. I dont think there is support for LACP on EQL devices. From my understanding there is one group IP (something like virtual IP) for two active ports on controllers (idealy one active port on one controller and second active port on second controller). From Dell documentation my setup looks ok.

But what i dont know is if my VMs goes down or freeze up when one controller goes down or interface change on storage side. I assume there is some down time when target need to be re-initialized. I think multipathd can mitigate this down time but i dont use it on server side because i use LACP.

Looks like EQL works more like vrrp + load balance ? So when connection goes down there is complete downtime for very short time until re-initialization. But i think i need to test that.

So real question is how to fix IO delays and optimize iSCSI for downtime mitigation.
But i found out some optimization in this post so i try test that : https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/s...-problems-with-dell-equallogic-storage.43018/ (thnx to DANILO MONTAGNA)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!