[SOLVED] Proxmox VE 5.0 drops into UEFI interactive shell (not booting)

dhoeppe

May 21, 2017
Hello,

I have a fresh install of Proxmox VE 5.0 and made a vzdump of a virtual machine from a Proxmox VE 4.4. When using qmrestore to restore the vzdump from PVE 4.4 to PVE 5.0 the vm does no longer boot. After starting it drops into the UEFI interactive shell. When exiting the shell and looking at the boot manager there is no disk I could choose to boot from.

How would I restore the boot order/configuration so I can boot this VM again? Googling some time did not give me an answer to this question.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Daniel

I solved above problem. When the interactive shell starts there will be a mapping list where you see something like "FS0".

> FS0:
gets you into a file system where you may find a directory called EFI (in my case)

> cd EFI
gets you into the folder

> cd debian
(in my case) gets you into a folder where you find a file (in my case called grubx64.efi)

> grubx64.efi
executes the efi file and your system should boot up

When the system is booted, login and execute grub-install /dev/DEVICE, replace DEVICE with the hard disk device name and the vm should boot up automatically as always.

I hope I could help someone with this!

Best regards,
Daniel

Reactions: stmarco and guletz
Thanks Daniel,

I'm new to Proxmox (using 6.3-3) and not an expert in Linux and this helped me to boot my guest system again, but the grub-install part did not work for me.

I installed Debian 10 on zfs following this guide and tried grub-install /dev/sda and grub-install /dev/disk/by-id/my-disk-id-here,
both ended in success, but when i shutdown the guest and start it again I end up in the UEFI shell

a guest reboot works fine and does not stop at the shell

Happy I tried this on Proxmox first before trying it on real hardware :) i really want the zfs on my laptop while still being able to boot ;)

greetings,
Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!