[SOLVED] Proxmox VE 4.2 IOMMU /w multi pci subids broken

Jannoke

Jul 13, 2016
It seems that while 4.2 came with a blast of fresh air, it has broken my box.
I have Qlogic dual port fiber cards.
I'm using IOMMU to give these cards to my guest system.
After upgrade from 4.1 it has only on card available to guest.

lspci:
01:00.0 Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. ISP2432-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI Express HBA (rev 03)
01:00.1 Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. ISP2432-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI Express HBA (rev 03)

It seems that it does not respect the wildcard anymore.
(i use "hostpci0: 01:00").
It should give all the subids to guest, but give only first one.

I could also use it like this:
hostpci0: 01:00:0
hostpci1: 01:00:1

but this does not work, since both cards will run same bios and think they are the "first port" and try to register themselves with first mac of the total of two available and so first works and second fails saying that there is allready available card with same mac.

Currently my fallback was to add another single port FC card to keep it running, but I need to use this pcie port for something else in the future.

Confirmed:
if configure it hostpci0: 01:00 then it will just take first pci id and use that one.

-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,id=hostpci0,bus=pci.0,addr=10.0

Instead it needs to be:
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,id=hostpci0,bus=pci.0,addr=10.0,multifunction=on \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,id=hostpci1,bus=pci.0,addr=10.1

So i copied and modified the command and currently run it from external script, but that's not what classifies as a solution.

This is a known regression, a patch is already in git and will come with the next updates.
In the mean time you can list the two IDs in a single hostpci line separated by semicolons:
Code:
hostpci0: 01:00.0;01:00.1

Reactions: fireon
Right you are. I actually investigated this approach, but seems like was too lazy - I misread that there is "," instead of ";".
So all good now. Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!