[SOLVED] Proxmox VE 4.0 Cluster - Multicast problems

bkraegelin

Renowned Member
When upgrading my cluster from 3.4 to 4.0 I got heavy trouble with multicast problems. It took a lot of effort to find a solution. I decided to share it here...

Upgrading from 3.4 to 4.0 also changed cluster communication from unicast UDPU to multicast. As our network should have been multicast ready I expected no problems. But it didn't work.

Symptoms:
Cluster did not get working, now quorum. On testing with "omping" as found in the troubleshooting guide, I saw complete packet loss on multicast.

Network people told me, our network ist multicast ready, so cluster should work. Some other clusters already work.

Tests:
Using a separate switch with IGMP snooping off showed, that multicast on proxmox is working. Just for testing I did a complete reinstall of all cluster nodes and connected back to the normal switch. Now multicast was partially working.

Tests with "omping" showed that now 2 of 3 servers have multicast connection.

For deeper tests I tried "tcpdump igmp". This listed "IGMP query" packets from the multicast router on every node, but only nodes which showed multicast success with "omping" also showed "IGMP report" packets.

Reason:
Cluster interface was configured as Linux bridge (vmbrx interface). Linux bridge has IGMP snooping on by default but does not reliably detect a multicast router.

Quick fix:
Disable IGMP snooping on linux bridge.
Code:
echo 0 >/sys/class/net/vmbrx/bridge/multicast_snooping
With this fix cluster communication was running and I had quorum.

But, why didn't it work as expected? And how do I fix this without any side effects?

Correct fix:
Real problem is, that Linux bridge sometimes does not reliably detect a multicast router by its own. And because "IGMP query" packets are multicast packets they are suppressed by IGMP snooping. I had to configure my bridge to know about the port where the multicast router sits. This will be done by configuring the port from "autodetect multicast router" to "receive all multicast traffic".
(See docs on Linux bridge and IGMP snooping.)

In my case multicast router is outside my proxmox server, so it sits behind physical interface ethy. Setting this interface is a bit complicated, so I did set this up in a small script in /etc/network/if-up.d/multicastrouter

Code:
# set multicast router interface
if [ "$MODE" = "start" ] ; then

PORT=`basename \`find /sys/devices/virtual/net/$IFACE/brif | grep brif/\``
  SYS=`find /sys/devices -name multicast_router | grep $PORT`

echo 2 >$SYS
fi

My cluster interface now gets "ICMP query" packets and responds with "IGMP report" packtes. So bridge and outside switch know about multicast traffic.

Hope this helps others having similar problems.
Birger

Reactions: Aaron Smith
My cluster is also having issues ... I'm thinking it is multicast.

When it starts working ... does it just start working, or did you have to restart a service or system?

I have written a bash script that performs a cluster restart and the multicast fix. I use this whenever I have trouble with my nodes.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "This is the automated restart cluster script, you will need to run this on the other nodes."
echo "Start: Checking that multicast is set properly"
eval 'echo 0 >/sys/class/net/vmbr0/bridge/multicast_snooping'
echo "Done"
echo "Start: Running the cluster restart script"
eval '/etc/init.d/pve-cluster restart'
echo "Done"
echo "Start: Running the pvedaemon restart script"
echo "Done"
echo "Start: Running the pve-manager restart script this typically takes longer to run "
echo "Done"
echo "this looks like it ran properly, run this on the other nodes, you should regain quorum"

My cluster is also having issues ... I'm thinking it is multicast.

When it starts working ... does it just start working, or did you have to restart a service or system?

I just had this problem and YES, just changing multicast_snooping on the bridge resolves the problem and quorum was reestablished.

Running the following code on alle nodes resolves the problem:
Code:
echo 0 >/sys/class/net/vmbr0/bridge/multicast_snooping

You have a well documented scipt here but it does not do what is mentioned in the comments.
Despite your comments you always restart the same service (pve-cluster) but never pvedaemon nor pve-manager.

However, it still might work because the important part is line 3:
Code:

Given that the cluster communication is running over a linux bridge and you reference the correct bridge, running this command on all nodes has resolved the quorum problem on my 3 node cluster.

I have written a bash script that performs a cluster restart and the multicast fix. I use this whenever I have trouble with my nodes.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "This is the automated restart cluster script, you will need to run this on the other nodes."
echo "Done"
echo "Done"
echo "Done"
echo "Start: Running the pve-manager restart script this typically takes longer to run "
echo "Done"
echo "this looks like it ran properly, run this on the other nodes, you should regain quorum"

Your script for Proxmox 5 should be more like:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Done"
eval 'service pve-cluster restart'
echo "Done"
eval 'service pvedaemon restart'
echo "Done"
eval 'service pve-manager restart'
echo "Done"

However, pve-manager is not a service any more... ?

However, pve-manager is not a service any more... ?
why do you want to restart pve-manager ? this only leads to restarting all guests

the only services relevant for cluster/quorum are corosync and pve-cluster

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!