Proxmox VE 4.0 beta 1 and external VNC

Erk

Renowned Member
Dec 11, 2009
I am getting an error when I try and use the same args, that I use successfully for proxmox 3.4 conf files, in the new 4.0 beta 1

eg.

args: -vnc 0.0.0.0:1,ABC123

Gives an error:

Running as unit 101.scope.
kvm: -vnc 0.0.0.0:1,ABC123: Invalid parameter 'ABC123'

So the VM wont start up unless I remove the password from the line, which of course is not secure.

Anyone got external VNC with a password working with the 4.0 beta 1 yet?

Last edited:
That's because you're using an invalid vnc option string, or at least deprecated for the new QEMU. The -vnc parameter doesn't supports to define the password itself anymore, and that's good.

To quote the manual page from kvm:
password
Require that password based authentication is used for client connections.

The password must be set separately using the "set_password" command in the pcsys_monitor. The syntax to change your password is:
"set_password <protocol> <password>" where <protocol> could be either "vnc" or "spice".

use
Code:
-vnc 0.0.0.0:1,password=on
# or this should work also:
-vnc 0.0.0.0:1,password

For setting the password enter the following command in the qemu monitor (use the monitor tab in the interface or "qm monitor <vmid>" in the shell)
Code:
set_password vnc test_password

Last edited:
You were faster than my edits. It seems it got deprecated between qemu 2.2 (used in PVE 3.4) and qemu 2.4 (used in pve 4.0beta).

Generally it's better to not use plaintext passwords in arguments, every one can see them (for example also a normal user through starting htop).

Last edited:
You were faster than my edits. It seems it got deprecated between qemu 2.2 (used in PVE 3.4) and qemu 2.4 (used in pve 4.0beta).

Generally it's better to not use plaintext passwords in arguments, every one can see them (for example also a normal user through starting htop).

Ah I see, thanks for noticing that.
I have to use external VNC because the noVNC console never seems to work on my Mac and Firefox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!