Proxmox VE 2.0 beta2 released!

martin

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 28, 2005
Hi all!We just released the second beta of Proxmox VE 2.0 (new ISO and also updated the repository). Just run "aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade" to update from the first beta.A big Thank-you to our active community for all feedback, testing, bug reporting and patch submissions.New Features- Backup and Restore
  • GUI and CLI, works for OpenVZ containers and KVM VM´s
  • "Backup Now" via GUI
  • Complete new backup scheduler
  • All jobs can be monitored as “Recent tasks”
  • vzdump package is obsolete, all code went into pve-manager package
- OpenVZ
  • Multiple storages for OpenVZ container, no limit to /var/lib/vz anymore!!!
  • vswap support
  • Improved init.log (shows startup logs of a OpenVZ container)
- KVM Monitor- Simple File Manager
  • Upload ISO images and templates via browser
  • No size limit anymore, you can upload DVD iso to all storage types via browser, even BD works
  • Works on all nodes, e.g. if you are connected on node1 you can upload images to storage on node2
- Logging
  • Syslog viewer complete reworked, auto refresh
  • Clusterwide “Recent tasks”, major improvements
- “Right-click” menus
  • Starting and shutdown container and VM´s
  • Open VNC Console
- VNC Console
  • Can be opened also for non-running container and VM´s (easier to debug startup issues for KVM guests)
- Browser support
  • Initial support for IE, Firefox and Chrome are preferred (use always latest versions)
- Kernel
  • Based on vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab042.1.src.rpm
- Countless small bug fixesHere are the important links:Overviewhttp://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Roadmap_for_2.xDocumentation (work in progress)http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Category:Proxmox_VE_2.0Get involved (incl. links to the public git repository and bugzilla bugtracker):http://www.proxmox.com/products/proxmox-ve/get-involvedProxmox VE 2.0 beta forumhttp://forum.proxmox.comDownloadhttp://www.proxmox.com/downloads/proxmox-ve/17-iso-images Happy testing, waiting for feedback!__________________Best regards,Martin Maurer Proxmox VE project leader

Last edited by a moderator:
I should be stupid but where is "Simple File Manager" to upload disk image in this new release?

EDIT:

Sorry, I found it: we just need to select a "storage" + "Content" and we have an "upload" tab in the windows.

Was too easy...

Last edited:
Any chance this installer will allow installing the base OS on software raid? Yes, I know your argument that people do not know how to use it, blah, blah, blah. But how about those of us that DO correctly know how to use it! Allowing me to have mirrored drives using the controllers that all come with these days would be a HUGE benefit of this system.

Just install squeeze and then proxmox. So you can do custom Setup.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Yes, that is what we are doing to get the RAID running so far and it has not caused issues up until this point. Would be nice if that was part of the CD though.

Hello always problematic on my end sorry...... I did a regular apt-get updateapt-get upgradeWas so excited to see those pve updates that i did not read the forum firstNow when trying to doing the recommended aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade keep getting thisaptitude dist-upgradeThe following packages will be upgraded: pve-manager{b} qemu-server The following partially installed packages will be configured: backuppc 2 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.Need to get 1,170 kB of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.The following packages have unmet dependencies: pve-manager: Conflicts: vzdump but 1.2.6-1 is installed.The following actions will resolve these dependencies: Remove the following packages:1) proxmox-ve-2.6.32 2) pve-managerNot sure what to do sorry if this is a silly question super late here and i am tired

The following actions will resolve these dependencies: Remove the following packages:1) proxmox-ve-2.6.32 2) pve-managerNot sure what to do sorry if this is a silly question super late here and i am tired

The action is correct - continue and remove vzdump

Just and FYI,

I did the upgrade to a 4 node cluster. I updated then restarted the nodes one at a time, all went okay. I then updated and restarted the cluster master, after rebooting it would not start it's VM. I got the error
Method 'PUT /api2/extjs/nodes/proxmoxd2/qemu/100/status' not implemented (501)
I did one more restart of the cluster master and now it is also working.

I installed the 2.0 beta yesterday, and the installation is the same, the GUI however has been nicely changed, what I miss or not have seen yet is the possibility to download the templates from the proxmox site but that you have to upload them. Is this correct? I am also going to look and import an old proxmox vm into 2.0 see if it works like it should be.

Will it be possible to upgrade to version two with 1.x versions when the final arrives?

I installed the 2.0 beta yesterday, and the installation is the same, the GUI however has been nicely changed, what I miss or not have seen yet is the possibility to download the templates from the proxmox site but that you have to upload them. Is this correct? I am also going to look and import an old proxmox vm into 2.0 see if it works like it should be.

Will it be possible to upgrade to version two with 1.x versions when the final arrives?

the appliance downloader is not there yet, you need to upload manually. as soon as 2.0 is stable, we will provide an upgrade script form latest 1.x to 2.0.

the appliance downloader is not there yet, you need to upload manually. as soon as 2.0 is stable, we will provide an upgrade script form latest 1.x to 2.0.

Hi Tom, that sounds great, meanwhile I will create some vm's with proxmox 2.0beta and install a cluster with it, look how this works and report bugs and so on. but so far so good done job with 2.0 looks great.

Great, thanks to the Proxmox team for the hard work!
Installed the new beta yesterday, now it looks completely usable, all the features from 1.x seem to be there, and lots of new ones! The new interface is much prettier and more informative. Less intuitive, but I got used to it in 10 minutes.

By the way, why has the web interface moved from the default HTTPS port to 8006 in v2.0? Is that change final?

Port 8006: And better for security if you have a firewall in front of the installation. We can have an easier management if pve is running on a special port instead of running on the common 443 port.

OK, so the port number can be changed using a single iptables rule, so no problem for me:
Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING --src 0/0 --dst 127.0.0.1 -p tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8006
It's just strange that the majority doesn't like the default ports. I have lots of services with web interfaces, and each one has a different port, which is hard to remember.

Oh, and another question about PVE 2.0 - is there going to be a page with "approved" openvz templates with direct download like in 1.x?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!