Proxmox upgrade causes Kernel panic

nitaish

Feb 1, 2014
Mumbai
www.techknowlogy.in
We were trying to upgrade Proxmox to the latest version 4.4 from the version 4.2. During the upgrade, suddenly two nodes went down and now they don't boot. We encounter the following error

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

What could be the problem and how to resolve?

I had this issue on one of my nodes after the upgrade to 4.4. I tried using system restore CD, but no matter how many times I reinstalled grub, I got the same issue. I ended up reinstalling the node and using the online documentation to bring it back online in the cluster.

Check grub config and also check initramfs. Often you can boot the old kernel manually with grub and you always use grub (bootloader) to load linux. Linux does not boot itself up from nothing.

Hello, same problem (2 from 4 nodes).
Previous config not working - controller not found / vg not found
Snímek obrazovky 2016-12-25 v 8.09.28.png Snímek obrazovky 2016-12-25 v 8.09.54.png
edit: grub option with old kernel (3.16) and "dpkg --configure -a" helped me.

Setting up pve-kernel-4.4.35-1-pve (4.4.35-76) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.4.35-1-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.35-1-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.4.35-1-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.35-1-pve
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.35-1-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 4.4.35-1-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.35-1-pve
Generating grub configuration file ...
packet_write_wait: Connection to IP port 22: Broken pipe

Last edited:
I can confirm running "dpkg --configure -a" fixed the issue. It seems like when initially running the configure via apt-get dist-upgrade the grub boot script doesn't generate nor include the initrd in the grub.cfg; causing the system to crash. This is upgrading from
Proxmox Virtual Environment 4.2-2/725d76f0 to Virtual Environment 4.4-12/e71b7a74.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!