Proxmox Subscription Costs

bobmc

Renowned Member
May 17, 2018
Hi

Firstly, I'd like to say I've been using Proxmox for about 2 years now - as a 'free' user at home - and I'm very grateful that the developers make such a great product available, and I am also grateful that the developers often respond to community posts - something that really doesn't happen too much in other 'community' forums.

So, given all this Proxmox love, I would really like to show my appreciation by buying a subscription particularly as I'm about to install a new proxmox server this year.

However, I'm finding it difficult to justify the cost to myself as a home user and I wondered if some feedback and discussion as to the current pricing model would be appropriate or welcome?

Hi,

Same situation here, i use proxmox for abouts 8 months i'm happy with it even if i got some problems...

Anyway i'll be glad to get some subscription but i use proxmox just as a home server and for me the cost is expensive even if i would like to participate, i can't afford a subscription.

Keep the great works guy and thank you

buying a subscription is not the only way to support us, you can find and debug bugs/errors, you can help other users in the forum/on the mailing lists or you could write code and send it to the pve-devel mailing list
(see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation)

all of those options are good ways to contribute

Well I have finally joined the forum after lurking for quite some time and in future, I will try to help and comment where I can :)

But I would still suggest you consider your pricing model especially to encourage home-lab users

In my opinion, for home users, you could have two levels of subscription.

One - a basic 'supporters' license, exactly the same terms as the 'free' but it removes the nag screen from the GUI and displays 'supporter' in the forum membership. Possibly limited forum privileges? Cost - one off fee per host. Only renewable on major software upgrades.

Two - a 'subscriber' license, includes access to enterprise repository, etc and some form of enhanced forum privileges. Cost - per host (not cpu) and incremental (i.e + 50% for second host, +33% for third/fourth host) - maybe a maximum of 4 hosts on this license, perhaps, as if you're running >4 hosts are you really a home user?

Anyway, just my thoughts - peace and goodwill to all proxmox developers and users.

One - a basic 'supporters' license, exactly the same terms as the 'free' but it removes the nag screen from the GUI and displays 'supporter' in the forum membership.
Excellent idea. :)

One challenge is subscriptions are only 1) bank transfer and 2) paypal. Home lab users likely are not motivated to use either. A credit card option would be nice. That option also would allow home lab users to buy pre-paid "one-off" cards to make payments.

I think once upon a time folks could make donations. I don't know how that succeeded -- before my time.

@upnort
A credit card option would be nice. That option also would allow home lab users to buy pre-paid "one-off" cards to make payments.
Paypal can do this all.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!