Proxmox setup and WLAN

StevenJonSmith

Jan 10, 2021
England, UK
Hi,

I have just completed a build on a small server, using consumer grade components. I want to setup a bare metal hypervisor, and for the life of me I can't get the network interfaces to work. I started out trying to use VMWare ESXi, then Hyper-V Server 2019, and finally after further research I decided Proxmox was most likely to allow me to succeed and yet here I am, still dead in the water.

Here is my setup:
  • InWin IW-MS04 chassis
  • ASRock H470M-ITX/ac
  • Intel i5-10600
  • CRYORIG C7 Cooler
  • 8Gb Micron 1RX8 PC4-2666V-U DDR4 2666 PC4-21300U 288pin NON ECC Memory (will be 16Gb had an issue with one stick I ordered)
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250Gb

I have installed Proxmox, it boots and I can login via the CLI. However, I can not get the WiFi adapter to work so I can connect to my network. It has to be WiFi due to router location and the difficulty of running cabling in my home, also I don't think the LAN is working either as I tried using a laptop as a bridge and had no luck there.

I believe the WiFi chipset is "Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168". I tried following the instructions here, even changing the ifconfig commands out for the newer ip version. I'm not very well versed with Linux, but I can follow instructions and I have used Live distros for other things.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Probably worth saying, when I try to bring the WLAN adaptor up I get this error: "bios contains wgds but no wrds".

Last edited:
Using WiFi for a PVE installation is always a bad idea™. I'd rather reconsider and put the server elsewhere or just bite the bullet and run some ethernet tbh.

If you *really* need to get it to work, I'd recommend also looking at how Debian in general works with WiFi (e.g. this from some quick searching) - keep in mind though that bridged interfaces (the default and most useful config for PVE) will probably not work, even if you get the adapter to connect.

Reactions: StevenJonSmith

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!