[SOLVED] Proxmox running ClearOS as gateway severly slowing internet connection

cres1964

Apr 25, 2013
Hi Proxbods

----- Please delete - the issue was with the modem bridge and is now fixed----------------------------

First of thank for the superb work and community spirit that is Proxmox, I didnt get on with the commercial offerings but this software is excellent IMHO.

My issue is this, on my adsl broadband line (when checked at the router and with ISP) my line gets around 16mb DL speed. I currently have that line hooked up to my server using a DG834 in bridge mode with a static public IP.

Running on the Proxmox server (Q6600, 8GB, single and twin gigabit lan, sata2 300gb GA-G41m Combo MOBO) I am using ClearOS community as my gateway and other things. As far as I know I am not able to see the line link speed in either Proxmox or Clearos so the only place I can take another reading is back in my browser on any number of speed test sites where I am getting around 4mb DL and my question is.... how have I managed that?

All the networking parts are Gigabit with shielded cat 6 cables, My clearos has 3gb ram, 1 processor 2 cores KVM64, I have tried both E1000 and Virtio NIC's, I am using a IDE virtual hard drive but have failed to understand quite how to transfer that to Virtio yet (although Im under the impression while possibly faster than IDE, it will not be responsible for sapping 3/4 of my speed). Within Clearos I am not hitting anywhere near the hardware limits but I am running web proxy, content filtering and a few other bits but have tried disabling these before to no avail)

I appreciate there is an overhead to all this extra stuff but I didn't expect the bottom line to be a loss of speed like I have seen - that being said apart from the speedtest scores and occasional flaky video, suid does a good job of making the net seem almost as fast as it was. All the above experiences are taken from i7 16GB desktop but similar experience with i3 8GB laptop and nexus 7 tablet - as a noob in the field I know I am to blame just not sure why yet...

As always any community help would be grovelling appreciated :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!