proxmox reinstall

zagreb

Jan 9, 2018
Can I reinstall proxmox without loosing vms?
I backed up /root and /var directories from old installation and my root file system was on /dev/mapper/pve-root

Unfortunatelly I can't boot my proxmox (so I can not backup VMs). I can boot live distro and I can "see" all partitions, I can mount proxmox root fs, etc

Unfortunatelly I can't boot my proxmox (so I can not backup VMs). I can boot live distro and I can "see" all partitions, I can mount proxmox root fs, etc
We will need more info than that. Why can't you boot in your PVE ? Whats the error message ? What filesystem was used ?

I have other thread with boot error. Here is screenshot
https://zokovic.eu/proxmox.jpg
I checked HW - it is OK. I boot live linux, chroot to pve, install (same) kernel but still can't boot.
So my idea is to reinstall just proxmox and leave all VMs as is.

I managed to do it.
My machine has some disks which are presented to VM as physical disk. So I resized partition on one of those disks, then installed Debain on that free space. Debian knows about my LVM. After that I installed proxmox in Debian and add (create) one by one VM (had to create it with small disk in file system - /var/lib/vz/images) then add it's own lvm disk to conf.
So it can be done - if you have LVM disk(s) I think you can even migrate it to new machine.

Reactions: Ohmann

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!