proxmox reboot problems

frenk970

Jan 20, 2020
Hello, I have problems with proxmox, Random restarts and from these errors:

Jan 20 09:38:30 pve kernel: ucsi_ccg 0-0008: failed to reset PPM!
Jan 20 09:38:30 pve kernel: ucsi_ccg 0-0008: PPM init failed (-110)

I can't understand how to fix it.

my configuration is:
Intel i9-9900k
32GB RAM
512GB SSD Crucial MX300
Nvidia GTX 1660
ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING 4S ATX

That error should be harmless and should not be the reason for the reboot. Are you running virtual machines on that host already? Is there a Windows VM running? Do you have Memory Ballooning configured? How often do you face reboots? Is there a reason that you are running a GTX 1660 on a hypervisor?

This looks like a multi-boot Gaming PC, not quite something that should be running a Virtualization Environment? Just my five cents, but how about running Hyper-V within Windows 10 Pro?

Last edited:
Reactions: larode974
That error should be harmless and should not be the reason for the reboot. Are you running virtual machines on that host already? Is there a Windows VM running? Do you have Memory Ballooning configured? How often do you face reboots? Is there a reason that you are running a GTX 1660 on a hypervisor? This looks like a multi-boot Gaming PC, not quite something that should be running a Virtualization Environment?

yes, I already have 3 virtual machines on the host including a windows server 2019, I don't know if Memory Ballooning is configured because I only migrated the VMs and reboots occur every 2/3 hours.
The reboots are already there before I imported the VMs

That error should be harmless and should not be the reason for the reboot. Are you running virtual machines on that host already? Is there a Windows VM running? Do you have Memory Ballooning configured? How often do you face reboots? Is there a reason that you are running a GTX 1660 on a hypervisor?

This looks like a multi-boot Gaming PC, not quite something that should be running a Virtualization Environment? Just my five cents, but how about running Hyper-V within Windows 10 Pro?
I need the video card to do audio and video transcoding.
I'm not doing a multi-boot with windows 10, I'm only running proxmox and on I have an VM ubuntu , VM Debian and VM Windows Server 2019

That the host has already been rebooting before you migrated the VMs is vital information. Yes, you should fix any driver issues which you encounter with Debian (or the Proxmox kernel) before proceeding any further.

Quote:
I had the same entries in my log. also my computer had a 50 second hang after resuming from suspend during which desktop is black.
ucsi_ccg is a modprobe module for nvidia gpu type-c controller.
as described here this problem appeared in kernel 5.3.x+.
as workaround you can disable this module by creating /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-usb.conf with a blacklist ucsi_ccg content and rebooting your computer.

I'm off for now. A personal hint though, if you cannot get help to get your setup running (PCI Passthrough is the upcoming hurdle) as desired, have you considered running Windows 10 (or 2019) natively with Hyper-V service? That setup should give you native performance for your transcoding while still allowing additional auto-starting VMs, yet you can still use Windows natively for other tasks on that box. This thing really doesn't look like anything datacenter style, so an L2 hypervisor on Windows sounds like a feasible option.

Oh, and as a sidenote: I also have an I9-9900K in the datacenter that is rebooting every 1-3 weeks without giving a zero log line of a reason.
I've been debugging this for months. So I am not asking you to give up ;)

Oh, and as a sidenote: I also have an I9-9900K in the datacenter that is rebooting every 1-3 weeks without giving a zero log line of a reason.
I've been debugging this for months. So I am not asking you to give up ;)
can I tell Proxmox not to use the NVidia video card?
I should not let him use it as the host (ProxMox) then blocks my use in windows server 2019

@chotaire the problem is all drivers from graphics drivers, I do not know if the problem is also derived from Intel graphics

Last edited:
it looks like it won't restart after I updated the BIOS yesterday and changed the main video card with the one integrated into the processor @chotaire

no one else can give me some advice on how to solve this problem of random reboots of the server machine?

from what i understand the problem comes from a kernel bug

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!