proxmox on sdcard

efeu

Renowned Member
Nov 6, 2015
Hi,
I want to try installing proxmox on sdcard. Because of the lesser lifetime of sdcards compared to HDDs or SSDs I want to make as less writes on it as possible, so I'm thinking of setting mountpoints of /var and /tmp to other disks. Any other directories which should be mounted somewhere else, or any suggestions on doing that?

Regards

I would suggest making /tmp a tmpfs and mounting /var on a "real" disk.

all of the other folders should rarely be written to, except for when installing upgrades.

Mount filesystem with "noatime/nodiratime", have plenty of RAM for i/o-buffers, avoid any small writes, etc.

But anyway, I do not recommend this. SD-cards are not designed for frequent r/w access, and Proxmox (better said Debian) was not designed having this (running from SD-card) in mind. ESXi is different: it just loads OS-image from "disk" (be it hd/ssd/usb/sd or whatever) and then runs fully from memory...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!