Proxmox - Nuc - single display single graphics card - need alternative

ghstudio

Nov 7, 2020
I've installed Proxmox, a home assistant VM, and a debian 10 lxc with PiHole in docker on an older nuc. All run fine.....but I need to use the single display on the NUC (my TV) as the Debian (or other) graphic console allowing me to show internet video on my TV (YouTube, etc).

I chose Proxmox so I could have individual VM's to try operating systems\distributions.. (yes, I started with LXC Debian, but planned to install it as a VM).

The problem: I can find no way to use the single display and single Nuc graphics card with a VM...the only use of the display is for proxmox or command line connection to VM's. The only Proxmox solution is to install full debian on top of the Proxmox distribution....,but that defeats the purpose of installing Proxmox in the first place.

Is there another VM solution that would run on a NUC (8GB) and allow me to use the single display with individual VM machines?

The only Proxmox solution is to install full debian on top of the Proxmox distribution....,but that defeats the purpose of installing Proxmox in the first place.
Depends on what you plan to do with it. PVE *is* a full debian install, so retrieving your favourite desktop manager (GNOME, XFCE, i3, etc...) is just an 'apt' call away, while keeping the benefits of virtualization/containerization for any services running in the background (you mentioned home assistant).

To use the display output with a VM requires PCI passthrough of the graphics card (at least to get any reasonable quality and performance for video streaming and such). This is a rather advanced topic, especially on machines with a single GPU, but can be done. Take a look at our wiki and the reference documentation.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!