Proxmox / Ntop

C

Chris Rivera

Anyone use ntop?

I recently foudn this and have installed it on a node to checkout node statistics.. Looks like this only shows specific nic statistics... can this be modified to work on a vm level?

since you can choose the device/nic to monitor by using -i its almost trivial to check each VMs network usage at the host because theres a network device on the host for every single virtual nic your CTs/VMs have.

there are tap<VMID>i<i> (i.e. tap100i0) devices for KVM emulated nics,
there are veth<VMID>.<i> (i.e. veth100.0) devices for containers that use veth devices
the only exception would be venet-connected CTs because they all use the host's venet0 device. however distinguishing traffic from the venet0 device is also simple since ntop allows filtering. Kindly go RTFM regarding ntop's -B switch

Thanks for the information. I will read up more on the application and the flags you sent so i can better understand how to set this up in a useful usable way. Ill post back my findings and any settings i came across and adjusted

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!