PROXMOX not starting anymore

ppreininger

Oct 9, 2011
Hi,
I did some backups and ran some updates and after the restart of my installation (4.4), no login or whatsoever is possible anymore.

I can only post a screenshot - as nothing is possible anymore. Is there something I can try or is my installation lost?

Attachments

• D665E0E5-934E-4FE2-BF9A-8D72C10DA1AC.jpg
    D665E0E5-934E-4FE2-BF9A-8D72C10DA1AC.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 24
It is no big deal anymore for me, as I reinstalled Proxmox with all of my backups on another disk.

In fact, I still have a small problem regarding one virtual machine. I have no backup for this machine and copied the disk from the volume. It is a windows machine. I also managed to import the disk into my new machine. My problem is now, that the windows activation is gone - I suppose some UUIDs were changed and that's why I'm having the activatione troubles. Is there a way to access the UUIDs on my old disk and "transfer" it to my new installation?

maybe the update did not complete successfully leaving some packages in a broken state ?
is it possible to ping the machine or login via ssh ?

I would advise the following:
* at the grub prompt, right after the bios try to boot a different kernel
* if that does not help, boot the system with a live CD (ubuntu)
* inspect the content of your disks with lsblk, it should give you a hint on which partitition is your Proxmox VE installation
* when the live CD is booted, chroot into the installed system following the instructions from
https://aaronbonner.io/post/21103731114/chroot-into-a-broken-linux-install
* once the chroot is ready, try the following and post their output if something looks wrong

dpkg --configure -a
apt-get install -f

Probably windows noticed the virtualized hardware changed, so you need to reactivate (windows is *very* picky about hardware changes) IIRC it is only a matter of calling an automatic voice machine to reactivate. Or you can try to configure the VM with exactly the same settings as it was before, but I am not sure it will be enough.

Reactions: sezycei

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!