proxmox not booting on a system with 3ware 9690 Controller

feldi

Oct 26, 2010
I have a system (supermicro) with a on board ide controller and a 3ware 9690 controller.
There are 6 device defined on the 3ware controller and one ide device, so there are 7 disk on the system.
On the installation menu the ide drive is shown as sdg, sda to sdf is shown as 3ware sas drives.
I make the installation to the ide drive (sdh).
After finishing the installation and reboot, there is just a blinking cursor.

Using proxmox version 1.6.

After boot the system with a rescue CD i see, that the disk device have a other order.
ide is now sda and sdc to sdh are the 3ware sas drive.

The same is happen with proxmox runtime Kernel, so now the configuration from grub is wrong because because the boot partition is sda1 and not sdg1 (grub config).

Work around:
Delete all configured drives from the 3ware Controller and make a new proxmox installation.
After the first boot, define the 3ware device again.

Problem solution:
The install kernel shout generate the same device order like the runtime kernel.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!