Proxmox not booting after BIOS update ('grub_disk_native_sectors' not found)

furfix

Oct 8, 2022
Trying to solve another issue, I ended up broken a new thing.... Short long story, I've updated the BIOS and now Proxmox is not booting up. Somebody can help me?

The error: "error: symbol 'grub_disk_native_sectors' not found.

Per what I found on internet, the way to solve it is booting up with a Proxmox live cd in Rescue Boot, and run updade-grub && grub-install /dev/nvme0n1/

Reboot and nothing happens. Same issue.

Not sure what else to do, whitout making it worse...

Any help will be much appreciated.

BIOS update reset the bios? If yes: change back to UEFI or CSM, depending on what the bios setting was before.

I've followed this article to re-install grub, but it didn't help. Same error :(

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure

• sudo vgscan
  • sudo vgchange -ay
  • sudo mkdir /media/RESCUE
  • sudo mount /dev/pve/root /media/RESCUE/
  • sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /media/RESCUE/boot/efi
  • sudo mount -t proc proc /media/RESCUE/proc
  • sudo mount -t sysfs sys /media/RESCUE/sys
  • sudo mount -o bind /dev /media/RESCUE/dev
  • sudo mount -o bind /run /media/RESCUE/run
  • chroot /media/RESCUE
  • update-grub
  • grub-install /dev/nvme0n1

I've followed this article to re-install grub, but it didn't help. Same error :(

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure

• sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /media/RESCUE/boot/efi
In this part, do you have to point to EFI? I see in the URL provided that it specified to point to:
  • /media/RESCUE/boot/
I also see this post where they had to manually select the boot device (Proxmox) to get it up and running and running the efibootmgr to mark the bootable partition.

Last edited:
If you have a spare hardisk on same computer, you could install a new clean Proxmox on that. Such new Proxmox will at boot detect old Proxmox OS / LVM disks and allow access toall files after LVM mounting.

Both of my home lab Proxmox servers encountered this 'grub_disk_native_sectors' error when I had to start them up after an extended shutdown (new flooring so had to disassemble the home lab).

Both of these had been upgraded from 7 to 8 in the past and were running and shutdown normally. My case is simple, SSD for boot and NVME running LVM for VM disks.

I followed the Wiki page mentioned above. Tried all the temporary workarounds to no avail. No wraparound noted. Played with BIOS UEFI settings (older Dell Optiplex 8th gen Intel in my case). Tried to install the grub-efi-amd64, but apt was saying I had latest version already.

Before getting drastic, figured I try forcing a reinstall of the grub-efi-amd64 package (can't hurt, right?) and it seems to have fixed it. What I did:

Boot proxmox-8.2 ISO (Ventoy USB stick).
Select Advanced -> Rescue boot
Proxmox started up, VMs started, all was good.
From console: apt reinstall grub-efi-amd64
Reboot

Did this on both and they are now booting normally. Not sure if this will work in all situations (I am NOT a UEFI expert) but perhaps may help somebody.

Reactions: v95klima

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!