Proxmox new installation and arrays

hec

Renowned Member
Jan 8, 2009
Wien
www.vector-its.at
I need to setup a new proxmox cluster. Does it make sense to install proxmox on a small array like 2x 72GB 15k harddisks in raid1 and the vms in an 6x 1GB 7.2k harddisk on a raid6?

If yes how do i this the best way? Do i need lvm also for the data array? Has anybody any experiences with hp p400 raidcontroller like performance?

I need to setup a new proxmox cluster. Does it make sense to install proxmox on a small array like 2x 72GB 15k harddisks in raid1 and the vms in an 6x 1GB 7.2k harddisk on a raid6?

If yes how do i this the best way? Do i need lvm also for the data array? Has anybody any experiences with hp p400 raidcontroller like performance?
Hi,
6*1GB??? I Assume you mean TB?
And yes it's makes sense to use for the installation the raid1-raidvolume and the big storage as lvm-storage. Normaly i use the opposite for disk-types: system on sata-raid1 (together with space for backup, which will saved also to tape) and lvm-storage on SAS-Drives in raid10.
You should think about raid10 to use it for your 6 sata-disks (only 1TB less space and much more speed).
Perhaps you should partitioning your big raidvolume - so you can use drbd as shared storage if you use a 2-node-cluster (i preferr two drbd-slices, one "main" for each node).

About your raid-controller - sorry, i don't know such raidcard.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!