proxmox kernel: e1000e: eth1 NIC Link is Down

lpallard

Mar 22, 2014
Dear Proxmox users,

I am investigating an issue with my internet connection where it seems to randomly drop for no apparent reasons, and comes back on its own after a few minutes. During that time, the local network seems to work fine, but nothing is going or coming from the outside (internet).

First of all, my ISP assures me that its not their fault (how to confirm and validate?).

Then my configuration is rather simple:

From the Thomson cable modem, a network cable is connected to the onboard NIC (eth1) of the PVE server (Supermicro H8DCL-iF motherboard), then this NIC is passed as a linux bridge (vmbr1) to a pfSense VM as its "WAN" port. The second integrated NIC of the PVE server (eth2) is passed also as a linux bridge (vmbr2) to pfsense as its "LAN" port. All LAN clients are physically connected to eth2 so are the VM's.

All worked well for almost 3 years now until a few months ago when this issue started.

I just noticed in PVE's syslog (from the GUI):

Code:
Dec 19 12:19:20 proxmox kernel: e1000e: eth1 NIC Link is Down
Dec 19 12:19:20 proxmox kernel: vmbr1: port 1(eth1) entering disabled state
Dec 19 12:19:22 proxmox kernel: e1000e: eth1 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: None
Dec 19 12:19:22 proxmox kernel: vmbr1: port 1(eth1) entering forwarding state
Dec 19 12:37:53 proxmox rrdcached[3036]: flushing old values
Dec 19 12:37:53 proxmox rrdcached[3036]: rotating journals
Dec 19 12:37:53 proxmox rrdcached[3036]: started new journal /var/lib/rrdcached/journal/rrd.journal.1450546673.582600
Dec 19 12:37:53 proxmox rrdcached[3036]: removing old journal /var/lib/rrdcached/journal/rrd.journal.1450539473.582602
Dec 19 12:39:01 proxmox /USR/SBIN/CRON[1036426]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))
Dec 19 12:47:41 proxmox kernel: e1000e: eth1 NIC Link is Down
Dec 19 12:47:41 proxmox kernel: vmbr1: port 1(eth1) entering disabled state
Dec 19 12:47:44 proxmox kernel: e1000e: eth1 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: None
Dec 19 12:47:44 proxmox kernel: vmbr1: port 1(eth1) entering forwarding state

I am wondering how to troubleshoot this, and what is responsible for that. When that happens, I can either wait a few minutes until the internet connection is back, or I can login to pfsense and release+renew the public WAN IP.

Is the problem caused by a faulty cable modem, a faulty network cable, faulty NIC on the PVE server, pfsense or proxmox?

I hope someone has experience with this strange occurence and can guide me..
Thanks and best regards

Hi,
I would change the network cable and, if it's possible, use an extra nic.
You can also put an switch between cable modem and pve-server. If your network connection drop again without link-down messages, the nic of the cable modem is faulty.

Udo

I have a similar problem. My internet connection drops every 40 min. aprox and my ISP has come 5 times to test the connection (inside and outside the house), with no success.

If I disconnect the proxmox server everything works again. Could it be a hardware problem with the network card? Could it be related to a upgrade? Did you solve your problem? How?

Thanks in advance

I have a similar problem. My internet connection drops every 40 min. aprox and my ISP has come 5 times to test the connection (inside and outside the house), with no success.

If I disconnect the proxmox server everything works again. Could it be a hardware problem with the network card? Could it be related to a upgrade? Did you solve your problem? How?

Thanks in advance

We need a bit more details to help you. For example, are you setup like me?

In my case, the modem is most likely to blame... Since I replaced it with another model, I haven't had this occurrence once, at least that I can tell.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!