Proxmox installation stuck on 3% "Creating LV's" PLEASE HELP GUYS

Dorfried

Aug 17, 2021
Hello guys
Im trying to install Proxmox on Lenovo I7 laptop but I am stuck on 3% "Creating LV's.
This is very important for me to sort out, can anyone please tell me whats wrong?

Many thanks
Dor

brian.buchanan

Nov 24, 2021
It is normal for the Proxmox installation to appear to hang at 3% "Create LVs" for 5-10 minutes or even longer. Give it more time, it's not a bug.

tom

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 29, 2006
It is normal for the Proxmox installation to appear to hang at 3% "Create LVs" for 5-10 minutes or even longer. Give it more time, it's not a bug.
This is not normal, on modern hardware the installation is done in full in a few minutes.

brian.buchanan

Nov 24, 2021
I installed Proxmox 7.0 on nine Dell PowerEdge T420 and 7.1 on three more, and on each it was stuck at 3% create LVs on each install, which is why I went searching for this issue. I also found these:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-7-install-fails-at-3.92520/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/pc52lv/proxmox_installation_stuck_on_3_creating_lvs/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/quo0nl/proxmox_refuses_to_install_to_hdd/

I thought about opening a bug but I don't have diverse hardware to test with, but it does appear to be a very common condition.

Type1J

Aug 18, 2020
I have this issue as well with a Minisforum machine. It does continue to install after about 5 minutes.

brian.buchanan

Nov 24, 2021
I reinstalled ProxMox last week and I didn’t have the problem. However this time I installed on ZFS vdev of all 8 drives instead of just one drive. I might wipe all drives and try installing on just one drive and see if the problem comes back.

ickz

May 5, 2022
I thought I let you know my experience with that issue.
I am using a HM90 and had several challenges.

1) Installer freezes if mouse is attached
If any mouse is attached to the device (tried it with two different mice), after several seconds of showing the graphical installer, everything freezes. This can happen on the first page of the installer - before clicking the first time on next. No input by the mouse or the keyboard is recognized.
I had to reboot the HW using the power-button. After unplugging the mouse, this did not happen anymore and I could navigate through the installer.
=> Don't have a mouse attached during Proxmox-installation

2) Installer freezes at "Creating LVs"
After some research, I have the impression this seems to be a common issue. Often people are just told to "wait up to 20min". As the installer didn't seem to continue for several minutes (at 3%), I did some other stuff. After maybe 30min, I realized that the server rebooted, because it was showing the boot-menu of Proxmox. I started the installation again and now the Creating of LVs was done in a matter of seconds.
=> Wait if it hangs at 3% (some report it might take hours) and after some time it will continue / the second try will be much faster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!